looking for affordable crank lifts / trussing

Would have to agree that the air lifts were never intended for long term usage in one location. 95% of what I used to do was one nighters. I remember one run of 90 jobs in 90 nights. The airlifts were a Godsend! I used them in a couple jobs that lasted several days and didn't have too much of a problem. Anything longer then that would get rigged. I could not imagine them staying up for longer.

Still, if they had kept the black anodized ones in the lineup, I think I'd buy a pair!

Sorry, I know this was from a while ago, but how did you get 2 of them to go up together? Or did you just hang lights from a pipe mounted to the top of one? I actually own one (for a different purpose, though). Just curious!

If you are asking about the Air Genies, every one I ever used were single units that stored in it's case. Never considered putting a truss on a pair. I did numerous jobs with two air genies for the front, two crank up genies and a truss in the back.

Sorry, I know this was from a while ago, but how did you get 2 of them to go up together? Or did you just hang lights from a pipe mounted to the top of one? I actually own one (for a different purpose, though). Just curious!

Usually, each lift had it's own frame. No need to go up together.

As for lightweight truss, as long as you set up a pivot point at the head, you could either A) Take each one up a few feet at a time or B) if it was less than 30 feet span, the hoses were long enough to hold both controls at the same time. Not the right equipment if you want any more than 16 feet of elevation. The OEM leg sets were too small. Mine had a 72 inch (end-to-end) leg set.

Remember: No movers back then! Basically lightweight par cans, ACLs, lightweight truss, usually a short span used in a large club. Anything bigger then that and the super-towers came out.

Picture of the old black anodized ones from the late 70s used on a 11 foot elevation club:
proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back