Looking for "Balanced/XLR-In to Bluetooth" converter

Javik

This isn't exactly theater/stage related, but it is pro-audio related, so I am thinking perhaps the geniuses of this forum might have some suggestions.

I am looking for a way to record video with an iPhone, but for the audio, using high-end pro-audio lavalier or headset microphones (Countryman, etc) that use balanced audio / XLR connectors.

So I need some way to convert from mono or stereo balanced analog audio to bluetooth, to be paired with the iPhone.

I have been trying to do some research but I must say, Amazon has a most horrendous search system for trying to find something out of the ordinary. I can't find a way to demand a keyword be present or to exclude a keyword in Amazon search.

Amazon has large numbers of "bluetooth to balanced/XLR-audio OUTPUT" converters, but I have not been able to find anything on the input side.

You may be over complicating your search. There are a multitude of products made specifically for IOS and mobile devices as well as interfaces. Bluetooth is going to be your biggest hurdle here. Also you're likely hitting a gap with "high end" and blue tooth... inherently not a great search.

I would look at the iRig solutions and the Rode Smart Lav if you're looking for a decent quality lav mic to go directly to a phone.

This Mic Pre from iRig is pretty nifty for IOS devices.

Not bluetooth, and not cheap but the DPA D:Vice is the best out there if you're trying to do capture lavs. I typically just use an Apogee One for iOS/Mac or an Apogee Duet because the One is tiny enough to just live in my backpack full time and does what I when 90% of the time I'm just recording a single voice over to my phone or computer.

When all else fails, save your money and just go get a Zoom H4N, record your audio to the internal SD card and sync it to your video in a computer. Trying to sync a video on an iPhone to an external audio source sounds like a nightmare.

Not bluetooth, and not cheap but the DPA D:Vice is the best out there if you're trying to do capture lavs. I typically just use an Apogee One for iOS/Mac or an Apogee Duet because the One is tiny enough to just live in my backpack full time and does what I when 90% of the time I'm just recording a single voice over to my phone or computer.

When all else fails, save your money and just go get a Zoom H4N, record your audio to the internal SD card and sync it to your video in a computer. Trying to sync a video on an iPhone to an external audio source sounds like a nightmare.

The D:Vice is awesome... the price not so much. It's also a little pesky and wants the microdot connector on the end of your lavs which makes it not very universal.

JK Audio products are okay... and the dapter3 or older bluepak are good for capturing audio from a phone call, but their interfaces don't provide any kind of power so you will need to power your lav in line.

Bluetooth was not really designed with high-quality audio transmission in mind. The later revisions have sort of fixed this, but from my understanding it still falls behind what you might get from pro-line equipment. If you're looking for portability those Zoom handheld recorders don't do a bad job and some versions allow for balanced mic level inputs as well. Wouldn't be too much of a hassle to mix the audio into the video track in editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back