looking for design advice

dj41354

Hello Controlbooth..
I'm an accomplished hardware/firmware developer that's been the electronic product development business for 20+ years. I'm currently designing a high performance RGBW (Red, Blue, Green, White) LED lighting fixture using Luxeon Rebels, the latest in high intensity LED technology. I've completed the proof of concept of a 12 LED RGBW (3 LEDs per channel), and I'd really like to know what some of you think of this product idea (my target customer is not a "pro" but a higher end, discerning amateur). Features: 12 LED RGBW (3 LEDs per channel) Luxeon Rebel LED's (something like 1500 Lumens total) with optics for a narrow focus (spot) or a wide focus (flood); total wattage aprox. 20Watts using convection cooling only (no fans needed); microprocessor based; 20Khz PWM freq; Setup using 2line x 26character LCD & 4 button user interface (on back of fixture); Various methods of control of LED's including DMX, simple RS232 serial data (Hyperterminal) or analog voltages (0-10v or 0-5v); Small size aprox 4.25" diameter X 4" deep; target sell price $200. Right now, the only thing that is still up in the air is the enclosure. The fixture will be incredibly light, and I wondering if a mostly open-frame, PCB type structure might be acceptable at this price point to this prospective customer.
Thanks for your help.. I really appreciate anyone's input or advice.

Welcome, dj41354!

I think the casing for the fixture might depend on a few things. Are you going to manufacture it yourself, or are you going to try to get one of the major manufacturers to buy the design?

It also depends on how durable your "open air" case can be. Your light will need to take a beating and keep on working. An open air case may look cool but probably won't be durable enough to keep the light in working order after a fall or getting hit by something.

I would aim for some thick plastic casing for durablility, but you'd probably need some financial backing in order to get custom molding done for your light. Molds are expensive! (My dad is a tool/die maker) and running them is expensive - especially for a large light fixture (I also worked for a plastics company for a while.)

Anyways, good luck on your design! Post some pictures for us to see!

Welcome to the Booth DJ41354! This forum is primarily for introducing yourself and many of our pros don't read it. You'll get a much better response of you repost your question in the lighting forum.

As for your question, I have to agree with Lieper that design and shape is not important as long as it's durable. In your target price range the product would be used a lot by small DJ setups. People who are constantly moving their gear from place to place. If it's not durable you have a big problem.

Secondly, I wanted to make sure you have dealt with Color Kinetics and their insane collection of patents on LED products? Like many others in the industry, I think their patenting tactics are ridiculous. But unfortunately they are legal, so you can deal with licensing now or face them in court later.

Finally, CB is all about education, absolutely no selling is allowed here. I don't see a problem with your current post but please be careful to avoid the appearance that you are selling or spamming or your posts will be edited/deleted.

Thank you both for your consideration.. I'll post the same message in Lighting and see what some others might think. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back