Looking for DMX controlled Floodlights

Ravenbar

I'm looking for a DMX controlled version of this light:

Local HS is doing a production of "Disaster" this spring. They also just approved a major upgrade(RGB LED fixtures/new board(bit conscerned about the new board, as I've only ever used ETC Express/Expression consoles)) of the lighting system, but that won't be in place for the show. I'm working with just 30 circuits FOH, and knowing the directors blocking, and intense/variety of colors the shows going to need, that's just not enough. In the past I've run long cables from unused plugs upstage, up and over the curtain, to the FOH grid. Given the requirements of the show, I don't think I even have the cabling/equipment available to do even that. As I'll most likely personally be buying the lights, looking to get most bang for buck. I've got past experience with this type of fixture and can see them being something I can use outside of the show, as well as being a good, cheap, wash.

Last edited:
Have you considered renting? You should be able to get lights that have way more output than those, with way more control, for the same or less money. If you're still looking to purchase, you'll have to browse the entertainment versions on amazon, but I'm not sure you'll find an outdoor rated one, with control, at that price range.

Why can't you go with a typical PAR type LED DMX fixture and use something like Rosco's Opti-Sculpt filters to increase the spread if you need something wide?
Many more choices available price wise.

Looking for cheap. The school just approved a $5million project thats going to be replacing/upgrading the lighting system, along with a bunch of other things. So not looking to spend a bunch of money, just for it to be replaced in 6 months. Past experience with LED Pars also leads me to believe the cheaper fixtures won't have the punch I'm going to need for the distance.

Last edited:
Looking for cheap. The school just approved a $5million project thats going to be replacing/upgrading the lighting system, along with a bunch of other things. So not looking to spend a bunch of money, just for it to be replaced in 6 months. Past experience with LED Pars also leads me to believe the cheaper fixtures won't have the punch I'm going to need for the distance.
a few years back i bought a few 30-40 dollar par lights from amazon for a haunted house and had no problem lighting a full size room with four of them and 3 years later theyre still up and running even after a good beating/being outside.

This is an image of a few years back. The grid on the ceiling is where I'm looking to mount the fixtures. I don't think the cheaper pars pack enough of a punch to give the effect I'm looking for.

Attachments

• mtp:⁄Moto E (4) Plus⁄SanDisk SD card⁄moto e4 video⁄IMG_20180204_143849.jpg
    mtp:⁄Moto E (4) Plus⁄SanDisk SD card⁄moto e4 video⁄IMG_20180204_143849.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 165
Curious where in NY this is -- If you're anywhere near CNY or ST-NY, I may have access (or know the right people) to get some cheap fixtures that you can take a look at. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want it public.

Curious where in NY this is -- If you're anywhere near CNY or ST-NY, I may have access (or know the right people) to get some cheap fixtures that you can take a look at. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want it public.

Location is the Northern part of St. Lawrence county on the Canadian border.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll be able to do it with the conventional fixtures we've got, as the set design isn't stretching deep into the pit like it often does.

You want bright, RGB, DMX control, theatrical quality dimming, IP65, black finish, and cheap. Did I miss anything? I don't think that product exists yet.

But tell me about show, as I think I'm less than an hour from you, in Clayton.

You want bright, RGB, DMX control, theatrical quality dimming, IP65, black finish, and cheap. Did I miss anything? I don't think that product exists yet.

But tell me about show, as I think I'm less than an hour from you, in Clayton.

I want bright, RGB, DMX, and cheap. I can work around everything else.

If you look at my first post, That fixture delivers all but the DMX control. I did find a source for a DMX controlled version, but its a straight from China, and the shippings almost as much as the lights($32 for the fixture + ~$26/ per fixture for shipping).

Ultimately, these will be in my personal lighting collection, so mostly used as utility lighting when I'm working on stuff, and/or in storage for if/when I need them for the one show I do a year. Hence not wanting to spend a lot on theatre specific fixtures.

Since you that close, location is Madrid, to be exact.

I think I toured there with a children's play when at SUNY Potsdam in early 1970s.

Good luck with sourcing and please report on it. It could help a lot of people.

I think I toured there with a children's play when at SUNY Potsdam in early 1970s.

Good luck with sourcing and please report on it. It could help a lot of people.

That was probably on one of the stages connected to the Crane School of Music there.

That's also why I don't work in this field, as I'm very out of date(haven't touched anything by my old HS's gear in over a decade, and even during my college years, most of the gear was out of the 1970's.), and any small gigs that come up are typically connected to the college and their people take care of the tech. Tried volunteering there at one point but it didn't work out.

That was probably on one of the stages connected to the Crane School of Music there.

That's also why I don't work in this field, as I'm very out of date(haven't touched anything by my old HS's gear in over a decade, and even during my college years, most of the gear was out of the 1970's.), and any small gigs that come up are typically connected to the college and their people take care of the tech. Tried volunteering there at one point but it didn't work out.
Drama department. Toured with 12 - 500 watt T20 Altman 6" fresnels and a 6*1k auto-transformer board plus all sets and costumes.

I want bright, RGB, DMX, and cheap. I can work around everything else.
Well, I've got one of (which is relatively bright, RGB[WA?], DMX, and cheap) and one of (which is *bright*, DMX, and cheap, but not RGB - just WW/CW) down in Binghamton if you want to arrange to check them out. (I've also got some of those multiple individual R/G/B LED fixtures but they're not bright, despite being ultra cheap) I'll be lighting a show in a small space with 14-16 of the RGB ones in the next month or so (drafting up my first rough plot tonight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back