Looking for help flying an object around the stage.

HeroMentat

Hello all,

I am in the process of working on a special effect for a show where a rocket flies from upstage left to upstage right, and then from upstage right to downstage left. I was wondering if anybody has done an effect like this, and would be able to provide some insight onto possible ways to achieve this.

What is your budget? What is the space like, how far is it between USR and USL? Is the rocket traveling horizontal or is it changing altitude as it travels? How fast is the rocket traveling?

Is it possible to use two rockets, some how hiding the direction change?

One easy option is to use curtain track in the shape of your flight path. (granted you'll have a massive gig blocker in the air if you have a traditional fly system. If it is a short term project you might be able to rent the straight sticks and only have to purchase any bent sections to make a curve.

What is your budget? What is the space like, how far is it between USR and USL? Is the rocket traveling horizontal or is it changing altitude as it travels? How fast is the rocket traveling?

Is it possible to use two rockets, some how hiding the direction change?

One easy option is to use curtain track in the shape of your flight path. (granted you'll have a massive gig blocker in the air if you have a traditional fly system. If it is a short term project you might be able to rent the straight sticks and only have to purchase any bent sections to make a curve.
Hello!

as it turns out, this is a lot simpler than I thought, I was concerned that I would have to make the direction switch visible, but the director actually wants it to go offstage before changing direction. I like the idea of using curtain track, and will probably look more into our stock of track to possibly just use that. Thank you for the information!

Hello!

as it turns out, this is a lot simpler than I thought, I was concerned that I would have to make the direction switch visible, but the director actually wants it to go offstage before changing direction. I like the idea of using curtain track, and will probably look more into our stock of track to possibly just use that. Thank you for the information!

If its a straight shot and the prop is light enough a cable under tension might be a more cost effective solution. Think zip line.

How big is the rocket? What kind of play is it. A motorized cart with a rocket on a stick might be better suited. Just throwing it out there.

We did something similar a long time ago. We stretched a cable really tight and built this rocket shaped device suspended on wheels that rode on the wire. Someone off stage tossed the rocket down the line and it rolled right across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back