Looking for House lights/work lights

jonnymo

Looking for lighting fixtures for architectural lighting, work light and rehearsal lighting for a 400 flexible seating black box space yet to be designed. Possible grid height 26 feet.

Are there any fixtures that can be used as high bay work light/ rehearsal lighting and also be controlled enough to be used for good audience ambiance lighting? Preferably individually DMX controlled and LED.

Thanks.

Welcome @jonnymo, just a heads up but a mod might be by soon and move this to the Lighting and Electrics thread down below. It will get more views that way. We do have reps from ETC, Elation and Chauvet among others who keep an eye out and are very helpful.

Elation has the Fuze Pendant fixture. Lots of control options from on/off via power, to full DMX. Price for the output can't be beat either

Looking for lighting fixtures for architectural lighting, work light and rehearsal lighting for a 400 flexible seating black box space yet to be designed. Possible grid height 26 feet.

Are there any fixtures that can be used as high bay work light/ rehearsal lighting and also be controlled enough to be used for good audience ambiance lighting? Preferably individually DMX controlled and LED.

Thanks.
Calling: @DELO72
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hi Johnny, short answer, YES.
I do recommend that you go with purpose built house lights, as other fixtures are unlikely to last.
Chauvet Pro has a variety of fixtures, both Warm White, and Full Color that are designed to meet this requirement.
From that height, I'd lean towards either the H265WW (Warm White), or the H605FC (Full Color).
All come with a variety of lenses included. Control via DMX, or WDMX.

Actually... as i think about it... how high is the top row of your seating risers?
You could potentially save some cost by using the H55FC or H55WW , as both the WW and FC fixture at about 20' deliver over 100 lux with the widest (80 degree) lens.

As a point of reference, Street price per fixture for the H55s is around $685 for the WW and $740 for the FC.

I hope that helps.

If you want to have someone reach out to you to arrange seeing a unit in your space, PM Me and I'll get you in touch with someone.

Last edited:
You could also take a look at The Light Source, I would suggest that you get us to do a photometric study to let you know how many of which of our fixtures will produce the footcandles you desire. Feel free to call me at the office to discuss the best way to light the space and how many footcandles you may want.

Most makers of cylinder pendants can put a DMX controlled driver in place of their normal one. Acuity, Cooper, Hubbell, and Phillips are mega companies with multiple brands of fixtures. Including the theatrically focused folks mentioned you have a massive number of options available.

Steve is right that you should get some detailed photometrics done. Power and control issues are often complex for these sorts of things. Talk to your electrical engineer they do this stuff all the time.

While it's true that a lot of architectural fixtures may have a DMX option, it's not necessarily safe to assume that will guarantee the quality of dimming you're looking for as houselights in a theatre. Starting with products designed for theatre applications can certainly improve your odds, but getting a sample/demo of your finalist(s) is the best way to know for sure that it does what you expect before you commit to buying and installing all of them.

You could also take a look at The Light Source, I would suggest that you get us to do a photometric study to let you know how many of which of our fixtures will produce the footcandles you desire. Feel free to call me at the office to discuss the best way to light the space and how many footcandles you may want.
+1 for the HL series DMX LED pendant fixtures. Fantastic dimming performance, 24/7/365 operation, and 10 year warranty.
Spec'd nine for a new community theatre install and they are superb.

OSRAM KREIOS FLX

The OSRAM KREIOS FLx 90W LED flood light was designed to replace Scoops or other theatre "Work lights". 90W, equal to a 500W halogen fixture. Not DMX, just line voltage, but dims on most dimmers quite well. If your space won't have dimmers and is looking to be entirely LED with fixtures having their own internal dimming, then this probably isn't the right item for your needs.

2nd the KREIOS, we have 2 dozen. Bright, great color. Worth it.

@the OP, think about not needing DMX at the work lights, unless you need to dim them for some reason. Maybe just relays for off/on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back