Looking for input on how to achieve a smoke effect

DotNM

Hello all,

I'm involved in a production where we'd like to have a heavy fog build quickly, take up a large area and dissipate quickly after its source is turned off. Ideally, we'd like it to be an almost opaque fog. This fog would need to raise relatively high in the air as well. The idea behind this effect is to have our stage crew move props, etc. without being seen (or being seen as little as possible). This will be used in conjunction with laser lighting and sound effects to make it appear like the actors are going back in time.

The venue I'm working in had purchased a small fog machine for a previous production, but it is one of those very small ones that are often associated with small Hallowe'en displays and isn't up to much. As well, when we tested it, it was noted to us by some that it causes a bit of a burning sensation in their throats and it somewhat smelled like something burnt. We ended up not using that machine at all for the previous production.

That said, we'd like to have this effect if at all possible without causing any ill effects to our audience, many of which will be older guests. The rental company I deal with has the following available, but I could check around to other various rental companies if there's a specific recommendation.

Rosco 1700 Fog Machine
Antari W515 Fog Machine
Rosco Chiller w/ remote
Rosco Chiller w/ 1700 Machine
LeMaitre G300 Hazer
LeMaitre Pea Souper Dry Ice Machine

DMX control is not important as the venue doesn't have DMX capabilities, although a remote (preferably wireless) is very desirable.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

It sounds like you may want to look in to using multiple Co2 (Cryo) jets. Aside from the jet itself (which is basically just a cryogenic solenoid with a barrel attached), you'd also need 20 or 50lb Co2 tanks (with siphon "dip" tube). I've had better results with 50lb tanks as 20lb tanks run out quicker and seem to gather more sediment which can ruin the effect and the jet.

The effect is fast, loud, and quick dissipating. It also leaves no residual residue, odor, fog, etc since it's basically frozen vapor. The only downfall is dealing with the tanks, as a 50lb will give you only about 30-60 seconds of continuous run time per jet.

Based on the effect you are looking for, this is the only solution I know of that fits the criteria. There are some manufacturers who make vertical shooting fog machines with quick dissipating fog fluid (I believe Chauvet makes one), but I don't know if they'd be strong enough. Might give it a look though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, Les. I will definitely do some research into Cryo jets. Overall, the area that needs to be covered isn't really that big, only about 12-15 feet across.

If the machines took dmx you could always rent a small controller just to fire the machines. Depending on the size of your stage you'll probably end up needing at least 2, and maybe more. There really isn't anyway for us to tell what will and won't work though since we aren't familiar with the venues size, airflow, etc. What I would try to do though is come up with a giant fog curtain, you would need the fog chillers for that. The pea souper might work for this too depending on how big the area it needed to cover is.

I did work for a puppet show that used a Chauvet Geyser
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This might work if you used multiples. It also has some nice high power LEDs and a wireless remote. I don't know if you can use one remote to trigger all the machines at once. If you use this, you might need a tall space over your stage for the fog to disperse in or an exhaust system because once it hits the ceiling, it starts to spread out like regular fog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back