Looking for parts for early 80's kliegl ellipsoidals

They came out with a third edition? Wow, did it have the tape drive stuck to the side of the machine and all? Simple straight forward technology them Preformers. Anyone could program them unlike todays boards.

What models are we talking about? I don't think I have seen any that are later than the late 1960s but if say a #1554, than it's using a standard Medium 2-Pin or more accurately the G-9.5 lamp base. These lamp bases are standard in the industry and one brand or type will fit any other. At least I have never seen an exception for that generalization.

Highly recommended lamp bases - especially since that model is rated for a 1Kw lamp would be either the Ushio "C3A", G9.5 Med. Bi-Pin Lamp Base, Porc. which Production Advantage lists in price for $14.25, but you can get it from any Ushio lamp dealer possibly at a lower cost. Good lamp base and recommended by experts in the field but not by the engineers at Altman for use in their fixtures. They cite things like a lack of UL listing for it and it not being tested for their use. You are using a different brand and one that's out of business, thus can use what you want, but as Altman is the leader in my opinion in the Leko market for that generation's equipement, I would trust their advice.

I quote:
"From: John Luk [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:53 PM
To: Brian Shipinksi
Cc: Jay Perez
Subject: USHIO G9.5 Socket.

Dear Mr. Shipinski:

Jay Perez forwarded this e-mail to me for a response.

The Ushio lampholder in question is designed for a G9.5 medium 2-pin
lamp,
so it should work as a replacement socket.

But keep in mind that our UL file for the 360Q fixture calls for a UL
recognized lampholder manufactured only by Sylvania, Altman, or Bender
and
Wirth. The Ushio socket is not listed as an alternate lampholder for
the
360Q fixtures and have not been tested in this fixture. If you choose
to
use it, it will void any warranty on the fixture and you use it at your
own
risk.

I hope this answers your question.

John Luk, E.E."

I thus don't recommend it's use but others do with good and bad results I have heard about.

What I recommend is the new improved Altman lamp socket for this and any similar fixture. As they said there is a number of brands that Altman recognizes but the ones they are buying are very similar in improvement to those offered by Ushio and will work best. Also since Altman is buying in bulk, the cost of going thru them directly or from a distributer will be reasonable.

Go for the: G-9.5 Altman #97-1580 Med. Bi-Pin Lamp Base, Porc. (Newest Style)TP-22, 1000w/250deg. c. Socket As #58-0018

Both above sockets have a kind of beige porcelain to the lamp base and no aluminum heat sinks or no tin covers over the wireway. Easy to recognize. Go for the high Temp. ones over the lower temp ones for a buck more. Note the model number, you want to match that up to what you are buying or you will probably end up with the old "high-temp" version #58-0018 that had a aluminum heat sink. Production Advantage for instance does not sell the upgraded version. Decent lamp bases with the heat sink in my opinion, just known to have a lot of problems with them by many other people. Cost of the upgraded verson is like $0.07 less than the older version so there is no reason to get the old version.

On other parts, most should be standare McMaster Carr fair. Othewise there is always the ellusive Hub / Dimatronics. A company that back in the 1990s was noted in Lighting Dimensions to be buying up the spare parts from lighting companies such as Kliegl when they closed down in an attempt to become a sole supplier of repair parts. Problem is that 10 years later, I don't really know how to find them and I am in that area. Last known address for them was 6207 Commercial Rd. Crystal Lake, IL 60014. If this company is still in business I would not mind having a link to them as they are a valuable resource.

Good hunting and there is always E-Bay and many other places to both post wanted adds and read about what others have available. Perhaps a search on "Used Lights" might yeild something, or contact me off list and I can send you some links.

These are quality 10 degree fixtures that are similar to the ones I thought you had. They use a FEL/EHD/EHG. Upgrade to the lamps I have recommended many times over to cut down on the heat at the lamp base. Lamps such as the GLE, GLD, GLC, GLA, FLK and best yet HPR. Anyway, the Altman or Ushio normal improved G 9.5 lamp base should be fine as long as you get the high temp type version of either. Same mounting holes and an easy fix.

On other parts, Kliegl had good solid engineering and most of the parts should be store bought in finding them. Otherwise it would seem that a company known as CCT that I don't have a link to, took on the next generation of Kliegl/CCT lights in their "Aimslite" fixtures. Should that CCT still exist as a company, and since for instance their #1015 fixture is very similar in body to that of your fixtures, you might have a supplier for your more difficult parts to find.

But the lamp base issue is easy to deal with.

Well it is nice to see people trying to fix the older equipment rather than just junking it. If anyone has any known fixes or tips and wants to put it up on klieglbros.com just send is an email.
Thanks
eric
Webmaster
www.klieglbros.com

I am always looking for interesting stuff, both manuals to put up on the site, and actual equipment for my collection or other members collections... I am always on the lookout for consoles, I am trying to get a small , well ok large control booth museum set up....
eric

I know a TD with one of two know Eisenhower light boards that the Business Manager as opposed to the TD would love to get rid of. Interested? Have not checked out your site before but it's really good to see someone out there with a respect for old equipment. Some of my favorites are crank style 6 and 8" Kliegl Fresnels. Nope the Altman Studio line was not copied too much. But than of course didn't Altman as a company start out by buying a salvange train wreck load of Kliegl gear and stampint their name on it? That's lore from the above 'TD' that I'm still trying to work on with his own tech theater history book.

Anciously anticipating your website. Does it have a history, Why did Kliegl go out of business anyway? Just before my time to know. Do you have permission/status as official part of their history to use their name? Kliegl lights are even so much a part of non-theater life tha Tom Clancy mentions the company in at least one of his books.

I just put my mint condition Kliegl Dynabeam with boomerang into what we call "Area 51" storage. The place that stores amongst other things the AC/DC Hell's Bells cannons and bell and other rock history scenery. The Dynabeam still even has working lamp and original gel. Interested? I also know of another Dynabeam but not in as good of condition and without the boomerang that's owned by the above TD and stored under the audience of a German Opera House. Again the Business manager with all the rest of the ancient lights currently stored there would be interested in getting it gone.

Wasn't there a school out east that by lot formed the national museum for lighting equipment? Now that's a field trip. Do you have a museum or just a collection?

Anyway, what a name and concept for a site. You can bet I'll be on there next. Do you have parts? What's with the Hub link to parts I posted earlier?

I love old equiptment right now im help some friends at another highschool to update their whole sound system and I keep learning more and more about some of this older stuff

ship said:
These are quality 10 degree fixtures that are similar to the ones I thought you had. They use a FEL/EHD/EHG. Upgrade to the lamps I have recommended many times over to cut down on the heat at the lamp base. Lamps such as the GLE, GLD, GLC, GLA, FLK and best yet HPR. Anyway, the Altman or Ushio normal improved G 9.5 lamp base should be fine as long as you get the high temp type version of either. Same mounting holes and an easy fix.

You were 100% correct Ship. We obtained four altman sockets to see if the crew students could easily attach the sockets ourselves. We had to fish the hard wired altman cords through the pig-tail sleeve, but it works. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back