Looking for small DMX player / recorder

Hi there,

I am looking for small DMX player/recorder, preferably just a circuit board with screw terminals, and no housing. In the past I've used the Chauvet DJ DMX-RT and removed the housing but the quality of that product declined dramatically to a point where it is rendered useless. Same with NicolAudie products, too expensive for my application, very buggy software, and unreliable hardware for professional use.

I've looked into the Enttec S-Play SP1-1 70092 but it is simply too big and expensive for my application. Raspberry PI, etc. would also be too big and bloated for my very, very basic needs.

I've found 2 products on DMX4all.de in Germany, the DMX-Player XS and the DMX-Player L-MK2, but just the shipping is $70+.

Application:
- Program light sequences created with the ETC Mosaic MSC / Mosaic Designer 2 software / hardware (my favorite DMX toy but too big and too expensive for my application)
- Record DMX/ArtNet/or similar light sequences from ETC device to small DMX player/recorder hardware
- Play the light sequences back as DMX data on start-up of small DMX player/recorder

No calendar function or reordering of sequences needed, just the most basic record and looped playback.

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Erwin

Years ago, I used a Gantom RePlay unit for an art installation. About the size of a Raspberry Pi and worked flawlessly for months, playing back a DMX stream controlling some moving lights.

DMXKing also has built-in DMX recording/playback in some of their gateway products but I have not used that function.

-Todd

Years ago, I used a Gantom RePlay unit for an art installation. About the size of a Raspberry Pi and worked flawlessly for months, playing back a DMX stream controlling some moving lights.

DMXKing also has built-in DMX recording/playback in some of their gateway products but I have not used that function.

-Todd
Thx!
Erwin

Seems like the Gantom RePlay was discontinued in 2020 (according to Ganthom). Bummer, seemed like a great device. Which DMXKing devices are reliable?

Chauvet recently released the DMX-RT4 and replaced the buggy DMX-RT. Maybe this is a new possibility? https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/dmx-rt-4/

Also, I know Enttec is working on a smaller standalone unit similar to the S-Play. It is supposed to release soon, but they haven't given me more details than that. Hopefully, it is something in the form factor of the Enttec Octo DIN mount, but with reliable recording and playback! 🤞

Seems like the Gantom RePlay was discontinued in 2020 (according to Ganthom). Bummer, seemed like a great device. Which DMXKing devices are reliable?

Chauvet recently released the DMX-RT4 and replaced the buggy DMX-RT. Maybe this is a new possibility? https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/dmx-rt-4/

Also, I know Enttec is working on a smaller standalone unit similar to the S-Play. It is supposed to release soon, but they haven't given me more details than that. Hopefully, it is something in the form factor of the Enttec Octo DIN mount, but with reliable recording and playback! 🤞
Thanks for pointing me at the DMX-RT4. Seems to have the same problems as the DMX-RT according to the lone Amazon review:
"I ordered it and tested a simple program with some D/A DMX to 0-10V converters for pumps and some dmx rgb led lights.
All worked as expected as well as a field test on equipment.
It would be nice to have a separate time delay to start the music after the show for synchronization. I overcame that problem with audacity adding leader to the mp3.
So finally ready to start programming the real show but I get a file failure error and it stops functioning.
It requires a power cycle and retriever a show to get going."

I've also never used the recorder function on my DMXKing gateway, but I have used the same 2-port node from them for years and found it to be super reliable and durable. The only hesitation I have in suggesting it is I'm not sure how one triggers the recorded looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back