Looking for someone to shed some light...

Shane Salmon

Hey, there!

I'm a missionary in Bangkok, Thailand. Currently updating our church on sound and lighting. I've worked some with sound systems before and have experience with installation but I know very little about lighting. We use TV monitors for our display and the reflection off the ceiling lights is making it hard to read from the monitors. I'm considering 12 LED DMX512 Par Light RGBW spotlights but I don't know if that is the best option or not. I've seen them used for wall illumination but not really for stage lighting. I was told that I could also dim RGBW spotlights and daisy chain multiple together which seems like a viable option. I don't have a large budget and I'm trying to see what my options are.

Our services are being held in a room that has a glass front with blinds on the right side and curtains on the left. Our platform is about 30 ft wide, wouldn't need to illuminate the whole platform but at least 8-10 ft in the middle during the services. I'm not looking for anything fancy per se but I would like to make the stage look a little better and draw attention to the speaker as well. I've attached two pics of the platform to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Platform .jpg
    Platform .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Platform.jpg
    Platform.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 34
If intelligibility of the displays is the primary concern, I would start by tilting them down.

When it comes to screen glare, you have to imagine the display is a mirror. If you're looking up at it on the wall, the image you seen on it is the ceiling. If you tilt it down, you see either the back wall or the crowd. Tilting to the displays to that angle will minimize the glare. It may not be perfect for every seat in the room since everyone has a different viewing angle, but it will have a significant positive impact on most seats compared to the existing mounting with little/no tilt at all.

Well you have a few options.

Tilting like Mike said is a good start.

You could replace the fixtures with something more diffused.

You could take one of the lamps out to minimize glare.

These are easier options versus buying something to wash your stage.

But to help you with your idea.

You ideally will need a controller and prolly 4 to 5 fixtures. You can daisy chain most modern fixtures with one powercon for power and then all you need is dmx for control.

I'm not sure what you can get out in Thailand so you will have to do some research on that one.

Thanks for the suggestions on that. To be honest, I had not thought of tilting the monitors down really. I'll check on that. Replacing the fixtures may be a great option too. Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back