Control/Dimming Looking for Strand 430 parts

jayvee

Hi all,

I've inherited a Strand 430 desk that came with the message: "it doesn't work". Being ever the optimist, I plugged it all up to see if I could determine what degree of "doesn't work" I'm looking at. Well, it doesn't even fire up. At all. I popped the hood and everything looks ok, no obviously loose connections or scorch marks, so I'm supposing that I will start with a "new" power supply. Has anyone got parts for this desk that they would be willing to part with? Or ideas of any diy options/workarounds? It's a brick now so I don't consider any options off the table. As always, however, budget is ... tight.

Best,
Jayvee

Doesn't that just have a standard pc style power supply in it?

HA ! that is a, just-post AT style Power supply. Used to have a ton of those lying around my computer room.... ten years ago. Probably a proprietary wiring job on the bit that goes to the cover but the rest is standard PC. Shouldn't bee too hard to find a replacement on Ebay.
Something like this

HA ! that is a, just-post AT style Power supply. Used to have a ton of those lying around my computer room.... ten years ago. Probably a proprietary wiring job on the bit that goes to the cover but the rest is standard PC. Shouldn't bee too hard to find a replacement on Ebay.
Something like this
Well hot damn. Thanks!

Just wanted to update: I picked up that power supply from the eBay link and today I was finally able to swap it in. That desk fired up like a charm! thanks for your help!
Thank you for getting back to us, and especially for getting back to us with thanks. So many posters rape this site for their own gains and never thank others for their time or come back to help other posters. Again, thanks for being a polite poster and helping make the internet a little less rude and thankless.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Thank you for getting back to us, and especially for getting back to us with thanks. So many posters rape this site for their own gains and never thank others for their time or come back to help other posters. Again, thanks for being a polite poster and helping make the internet a little less rude and thankless.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Shucks :)
This site and its members have been so helpful to me, I couldn't help but be excited to share my success! Such a wealth of information here!

Last edited:
I think one of the coolest things in the world is how, so often, we think " Oh this is a fancy thing. This is cutting edge. This is made in a huge factory by technicians..." Then you go looking and you find, very often, the parts and pieces are commercially available from a dozen different sources it's just how they are packaged and assembled. I remember when I first started building IPS dimmers at ET. It was just a big room in a nondescript building in NW Portland. Not some fancy robot-ized assembly plant in Silicon valley....
What I'm trying to say is I think it's really cool that if you take stuff apart enough, you can often find replacement parts in the least likely of places.

Then you go looking and you find, very often, the parts and pieces are commercially available from a dozen different sources it's just how they are packaged and assembled.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back