Looking for suggestions for a "POOF" entrance for Aladdin Jr Genie...

Good evening, everyone.

Our theatre is putting on a production of Aladdin Jr, and the director wants a "Magical POOF" effect for the Genie's entrance.
However, due to the fact that we are using kids as the cast, I am hesitant to use my professional (read: Large) Flashpot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a SIMPLE device to create a smoke-like-poof that can be hidden on SL behind set-dressing, that will create a FAST and SAFE smoke poof?
It CAN be flash-powder, if it only uses TINY bits, but I would prefer to find something that uses fog-juice, water-vapor, or something of the sort, for safety.
I can wire it to trigger remotely, so that is not an issue. We will be combining the effect with lights, so it doesn't have to be HUGE.

Oh, and I have to find this device, purchase it, have it tested, and then installed before Oct 30.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick easy and poofy. I agree CO2 all the way.

If CO2 look is ok you can also try a Geyser Fogger could work. They are decently easy to hide in set pieces and they do a good job of a plume of smoke. And these can be colored if wanted.

Just piggy backing on someone else's topic. As I have never actually used a C02 extinguisher for this effect but seen it suggested often. How many "poofs" do you tend to get out of one tank or approx how many seconds do you get? Also how expensive is it to get them recharged (I assume most of the expense is getting a structurally sufficient tank and nozzle and not the C02 itself)?

I think 3 or 4 shows. We borrowed iirc. Extras at physical plant. Google suggests $15-30 to refill. Call a local fire protection, explain what you want it for, and ask how much.

Just piggy backing on someone else's topic. As I have never actually used a C02 extinguisher for this effect but seen it suggested often. How many "poofs" do you tend to get out of one tank or approx how many seconds do you get? Also how expensive is it to get them recharged (I assume most of the expense is getting a structurally sufficient tank and nozzle and not the C02 itself)?
@DGotlieb Several comments: CO2 extinguishers are manufactured in a range of sizes and normally referred to by their weights.
The sizes range from small hand-held units to units weighing more than 100 pounds and rolled on two decent sized wheels, usually pulled behind you like a horse pulling a carriage. How long they last between charges depends upon the duration of each "Poof", whether you're doing "Poofs" or "POOFS!!!". CO2's are noisy, which usually adds to the effect although the larger CO2's are NOISY!!! Borrowing a fresh extinguisher off a wall for one or two poofs per extinguisher and replacing it back on the wall is seriously FROWNED upon by Fire Marshals; DON'T do it. Consult several recharging shops in your area and compare prices.
Do NOT poof them in peoples' faces, nor freeze their toes (or other bodily parts) Doing so will not favorably impress your friends or co-workers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

You can also look at the various vertical foggers on the market. At Chauvet, we offer 2 versions. In our DJ line we have the Geyser Series. In the Professional line we offer the Vesuvio II.
There are several different versions of the Geyser (depending on your needs). For the Vesuvio, the "Professional" improvements include a larger heater which pre-heats to provide a big Burst effect (the DJ is Similar, but can take about a half second to reach full output), instant shut-off valve (so the effect can be timed), and a larger pump.

Good evening, everyone.

Our theatre is putting on a production of Aladdin Jr, and the director wants a "Magical POOF" effect for the Genie's entrance.
However, due to the fact that we are using kids as the cast, I am hesitant to use my professional (read: Large) Flashpot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a SIMPLE device to create a smoke-like-poof that can be hidden on SL behind set-dressing, that will create a FAST and SAFE smoke poof?
It CAN be flash-powder, if it only uses TINY bits, but I would prefer to find something that uses fog-juice, water-vapor, or something of the sort, for safety.
I can wire it to trigger remotely, so that is not an issue. We will be combining the effect with lights, so it doesn't have to be HUGE.

Oh, and I have to find this device, purchase it, have it tested, and then installed before Oct 30.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I used an RGB Geyser when I did Aladdin.

If you call your local fire extinguisher refill company they may lend you one that's expired and needs a tank recertification as it will need to be emptied and inspected.
Or you can use a CO2 Icejet - Cryojet and just use a small bottle, the shoot about a pound a second.
For fog, some units are offered with fast on options, or you can prefill a fog box and use an air assist to shoot it out.

CO2 for sure.

Second (or third) the RGB Geyser if you have the budget for it. We used it in Wizard of Oz for both the Wicked Witch's entrances and the Wizard himself. I also used it for a kids summer theater camp when they did The Reluctant Dragon. The kids thought it was awesome to have an effect like that in their small show. The parents were even more impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back