Looking for the perfect "Side lighting board"

McCready00

Hello all,

Since a few weeks, I am doing shows in small venues where, sometimes, I found myself in front of a simple MA Wing (which makes me vey happy !)

It's been a while since I dream of the most basic console to give me more faders/button through DMX in:
compact
20 Faders
20 buttons
option to chose first DMX address.
mostly nothing else.

Anyone knows a brand of console I could travel with and use as a side LX console, with something similar to those ideas !?!

Thanks

What is your budget? Do you have size limitations such as the need to fit in the back of a compact car, to fit as carry on luggage, or checked baggage weight? What sort of rig will you be controlling with it?

~Dave

small, compact, just buttons and faders..

I have a MIDIcon, which is pretty much what I am looking for.. although I want it DMX instead of Midi.

to be carried with my hands to the venue..

Elation / ADJ SceneSetter 24 has these features, although the DMX patching is on a channel-by-channel basis rather than as a starting address and frankly looks pretty clunky to work with. I've used its little cousin (the StageSetter 8) and have not been impressed. Among other things, in two-scene-preset mode, the cross fader is not dipless, though that doesn't sound like something that would affect you. Nevertheless, it does have a bunch of faders and buttons and not too much else.

The Leviton (ex-NSI?) N1000-006 only has six faders, but can access all channels directly via keypad commands, or have the six assigned to any six consecutive DMX addresses, or have a number of memory scenes. It's nice and compact and has a rechargeable battery built-in, so it's very portable.

I'd recommend the ColorSource AV. It also has basic audio and video capabilities. It's a powerful little board. Very light, easy to use. Built in touch screen or can be attached to a monitor.
well, that is not really what I am looking for.. no buttons, and a side lighting board do not need programmation at all, so the touch screen is useless and make the price go up for something useless..

Next ! :p

( thank for the try ! )

Elation / ADJ SceneSetter 24 has these features, although the DMX patching is on a channel-by-channel basis rather than as a starting address and frankly looks pretty clunky to work with. I've used its little cousin (the StageSetter 8) and have not been impressed. Among other things, in two-scene-preset mode, the cross fader is not dipless, though that doesn't sound like something that would affect you. Nevertheless, it does have a bunch of faders and buttons and not too much else.

The Leviton (ex-NSI?) N1000-006 only has six faders, but can access all channels directly via keypad commands, or have the six assigned to any six consecutive DMX addresses, or have a number of memory scenes. It's nice and compact and has a rechargeable battery built-in, so it's very portable.t
That's the last console I had.. Liked it although the blue LED are bright AF ! :p

Really close to what I im looking for..

Although, few single button would be great..

Perhaps a better term than "side lighting board" would be "DMX-in wing."

All you really want is a Pocket Console with 20-30 faders/channels and bump buttons. Lightronics might have something.

I completely forgot about one of the best options, especially because it fits in the tiniest of club FOH spaces. If you don't need the bump buttons much (as these are tiny), check out the DMX 12 from DMX-iT.

Also, looks like (per their FB page) Akwariom is coming out with a Kontrol v3 which looks to have much better buttons.

One last edit to add: My personal MA2 DMX in solution that I take with me to jobs to use with an MA2 Light or anything else is the Elation SDC-12. It fits right in the empty area in the upper right of the console to the right of the monitors, the feet sit on the top of the desk, and I gaff it in to place. Works great to have a few extra bump-less faders. It even runs on a 9v battery when they forget to put a powerstrip at the console.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back