Looking into getting a new lighing board

Just buy a Wholehog 2 with expansion wing...whatever you do, stay away from the Maxxyz!

Colortran = %$&$

We use a Colortran in our theater at school, but the last show we had to program everything as groups. Everytime we tried cues or submasters the thing would freeze up and go skitzo. It may just be because the board is an older board, but either way, Colortran = $&#^.

Go ETC, or Wholehog if ya got bling

I've been using an ETC Expression 3 and an Expression 1 for about four years now. They are amazing boards. Programming is logical and simple. My only gripe is the way that you are forced to program chases, but once you get the chases programmed they are fine. The Express software is more or less the same as the Expression with fewer functions.

The Expression 3 is all set up for movers with fixture personalities, encoder wheels, rate wheel, and level wheel.

I have worked on the Express and I would recommend that console highly.

i am looking into getting an innovator 600

Well thanks eveyone for your opinions, it seems to be that the ETC line is the industry standard, and I will be getting a ETC Board. Sorry for any confusion. (too bad for colortran, they could of had a nice board, it they bug fixed their softwear)

As for ETC boards, my budjet is 6000 (or 7000 at the max) dollers for the board, excluding monitors (i got plenty of these :))

You think it is possible i can get an expression 3-400 for that price or 7000 at the max price.

or

Should i just get an express 250?

(talking American Currenty BTW - even though i am canadian!)

Inaki2 said:
Just buy a Wholehog 2 with expansion wing...whatever you do, stay away from the Maxxyz!

Please expand upon your opinion of this.

Between the HOG, the MAXXYZ and Grand Ma, I think it more designer choice at this point given all do a good job and what the industry uses is less a problem these days of what one as a designer or programmer is trained in using than any software defects that are as opposed to the defects of another system. HOG II with wing at times is the light board of yesterday. Avoiding one of the next generation is I think more personal opinion more than any other matter. Our guys love the MAXXYZ, and were very worried about using the HOG III on it's one and only tour it was requested for due to dependability issues that later proved to be false. Still they prefer the MAXXYZ where at least I'm from.

I was just kidding....Maxxyz is OK, just gotta be careful what not to do or it'll crash...I just find it sucks that Martin hasn't put so much effort into software as other console manufacturers have

Could also be a question of reporting crashes or installing upgrades. As far as I know, the board has had a long history of wee bit of problems as still found. Still when upgraded it's still a board in the running just as any other.

Sorry if I did not understand your kidding. While in most instances - especially in adding a few moving lights to a otherwise conventional system, the HOG II is probably a better board economically, I would otherwise hate to see a valued post such as your's posting the board sucks without saying why in an other than something that's been fixed type of way.

Just as I stopped posting that the HOG III was not stable enough to take out on shows, it in being corrected I would expect is also a very stable platform.

Hey, I would take them all of given to me (hint, hint)/ What's more, its my birthday today.........ship? LOL

What do you think I'm Daddy Warbanks? No you get nothing besides one day closer to death at this age in life, or just wait or at least I can't wait until you hit 30.

Are you asking for swag? This is not the proper channel for it and swag does not include a light board. You get a lump of screw as in screw you. LOL

None the less, happy birth day my friend.

a great man once said: "life sucks and then you die". But hey , happy birthday(yesterday)

Well i have a big update:
First at the begining of the year Lite-Trol (Great Service Techs) lent us a ETC EXPRESS 48/96. Overall I was very pleased of what it can do. Great board to teach other students too.

So we decided to get the 48/96 board. By the time I sent out the P.O. the same day it came!!!

Here comes the funney but fustrating part, well after unpacking and setting it up today, I quickly realised that ETC sent us the 24/48 Computer attached to the 48/96 controll board.

I was like NOOOOOOOO 96 channels is not enough. after a quick phonecall to ETC, the usual info given, and dignosis given, the tech support guy was like ohhh dam, I assume that this happend to him before and he prob. thought it was an isolated case.
5 Min later I am currenly being overnighted a new board.

Even though they sent me the wrong computer for the board. i got to say their servace is great.

(minor note, the board is very fast compard to the my previous console, colortran prstige 2000)

I will give a full review after I get the new board.

Congratulations!
ETC's service is by far one of the best around, they take great pride in that also, and its justified!
We'll await your full review then!

ETC Expression 3... all the way man. i just checked it out at the USITT stage expo a few weeks ago up in toronto. this board is amazing. its one step closer to running your lights directly from a computer but without the lag time problems. it has a four screen interface and a wireless Rfu. check it out... its an amazing board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back