Loosening bolts

What is the aim of loosening the bolts? Is it that you want to move them or do you want them where they are just focused differently?

I' m a big fan of liquid wrench in letting it soak in, but there is lots of penetrating oils on the market. The point about following school regulations is important.

Seperate out those bolts such as on the C-Clamp from that of the fixture. The C-Clamp as the most often stuck or in need of attention gets along fine with just about any oil. For in the fixture, I normally use Tri-Flo Teflon oil. Smokes a bit as the vehicle in it burns off but not much and seems to withstand the heat well enough. Not the only product but most silicone or Teflon based products work well. Look at the temperature rating on them.

Re tap and die all both stuck bolts or threaded holes by way of both oil and proper die before use. Whipe off the excess. Should you spray oil on a surface by mistake, do some denatured alcohol and a lint free towl right away. Replace anything not facory spec or in good condition.

I know also of AeroKroil (think WD-40) and SiliKroil (think silicone lubricant).

Chris15 said:
What is the aim of loosening the bolts? Is it that you want to move them or do you want them where they are just focused differently?

The light is(was) fixed in a position where the beam lights up my dimmer room off to stage left quite well, but sheds no useful light on the stage at all. The point of loosening the bolts is to unlock the swivel mechanism, allowing me to use the light for something more interesting than lighting up the "Caution: Electrical" sign on the door of my dimmer room.

I did get the light down, which was harder than I expected, because the c-clamp fastening bolt was bent at almost a 45 degree angle. It amazes me that the light was even still there, considering the apparent abuse it has been through! Tomorrow I am going to try whatever kind of lubricant the custodians are willing to lend me, which will hopefully loosen up the swivel bolt enough to take the c-clamp off and replace it.

Thanks everyone!

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back