Lost with lights..

Nirvano

Ok, so I've worked a few different light boards for some shows here and there, but i always have someone who really knows what they're doing right by my side. I'm in set design/set construction, so needless to say, i'm no expert when it comes to lighting.:rolleyes:
So..
I'd love to actually know what it is that i'm doing.
Any links to some good sites that could help me a bit would be more than appreciated..
Especially in regards to ETC Express 48 96, and Strand 300, cause those are the two I usually work with.
Please and thank you!!

Here's the one and only great tutorial site that I know of http://www.bobbyharrelllighting.com/console_training/support.html
It's for the Strand 500 series. I think you actually find that a lot of the principles are true for any board you'll just have to learn the specific terminology.

In the end however the best thing to do is to just work with the specific console's software. Which is available for free from every major manufacturer. When you get stuck post a specific question and someone here will know how to walk you through it.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've worked a few different light boards for some shows here and there, but i always have someone who really knows what they're doing right by my side. I'm in set design/set construction, so needless to say, i'm no expert when it comes to lighting.:rolleyes:
So..
I'd love to actually know what it is that i'm doing.
Any links to some good sites that could help me a bit would be more than appreciated..
Especially in regards to ETC Express 48 96, and Strand 300, cause those are the two I usually work with.
Please and thank you!!

Go to the etc website: www.etcconnect.com

Click on the controls section and look at the express. Go to the downloads section and look for the Express quick guide. It should pretty easily explain all the basics. For more advanced features, download the offline Editor and search the manual looking for exactly what you are looking for.

Nirvano,

Might I advise "thanking" people less?

In addition, I have a small array of documents pertaining to the Strand 300. Though (I assume) you do not use it often, if you're interested in some of these documents, drop me a line (with a fiber rope grab!).

Have you thought about what's in your lighting inventory? Instruments, moving mirrors, scrollers, SeaChangers perhaps? What else? What dimmers? Are you interested in product sheets for these items as well?

Are you looking for more of a broad sweeping overview? What sort of stuff do you know? What about relamping? (Don't touch the envelope!)

~Charlie

Nirvano,
Might I advise "thanking" people less?
In addition, I have a small array of documents pertaining to the Strand 300. Though (I assume) you do not use it often, if you're interested in some of these documents, drop me a line (with a fiber rope grab!).
Have you thought about what's in your lighting inventory? Instruments, moving mirrors, scrollers, SeaChangers perhaps? What else? What dimmers? Are you interested in product sheets for these items as well?
Are you looking for more of a broad sweeping overview? What sort of stuff do you know? What about relamping? (Don't touch the envelope!)
~Charlie

Charlie, may i advise criticizing people less?
haha, just kidding.
but for the record, those are the only two "thanks" I've ever sent on CB.
Also, I am interested in those documents about the Strand 300.. I think we both know I'm in desperate need.
One last thing, the "drop me a line" joke... well, i honestly just dont have words. lol

Charlie, may i advise criticizing people less?
haha, just kidding.
but for the record, those are the only two "thanks" I've ever sent on CB.
Also, I am interested in those documents about the Strand 300.. I think we both know I'm in desperate need.
One last thing, the "drop me a line" joke... well, i honestly just dont have words. lol

Download bobbys guide and just go through them, step by step. That will get you up to speed on the console pretty quick, as far as the physical work goes, that just takes time.

Everything he knows about his Strand 300 he asked me about first.... Well he asked for further clarification anyway. I work on Strand consoles every day, so if there is anything you need, feel free to PM or email me. I can do ETC consoles too, but everything pre Obsession holds a not-so-special place in my heart. Lets just say I would never trade my Strand for anything less than an EOS.

I short, I am happy to help you with any Strand questions you have, and while there are probably better people to ask ETC questions of, I can field those too.

Nirvano-

-Many of us on this forum (myself included) are very familiar with the ETC Express/Expression syntax and methods of operation. Perhaps if you asked some specific questions we could be of more help.

Feel free to PM or email if you would like a more in depth description of ETC range. Personally, I've got hundreds of hours on those desks and would be more than happy to help.

Hey Nirvano,
I was just looking back at your original message and I'm curious to go into a little more detail of what it is you are looking for. Are you looking to master knowing which button to push? Are you looking more for understanding the concepts behind how the boards work? Understanding how the physical stuff of how a slider makes the dimmer send power to the instrument? or the less concrete side of it of how to make art happen?

The short answer to the first two question is you need to sit down and read the manual until you understand it and ask lots of questions when you get lost. The other questions though are interesting ones for discussion here.

Nirvano,

I'm assuming that because you have both an Express 48/96 and Strand 300 you are from a school district with a relatively high budget / a lot of money pouring into theatre. Here are my thoughts:

I'm guessing that your TD has placed your Express 48/96 on the high school mainstage. It's a logical move get them familiar with the boards they'll use. It seems to me though that these boards are just getting older, and it might be better to train students on some more advanced concepts, that's where the Strand 300 comes in. If you have the budget for nice boards, you should be able to afford an I-Cue or two. Paired with the Strand 300 comes in. Paired with the I-Cues it could be a real teaching aid, and provide you guys with some flexibility on your mainstage. Perhaps it's worth bringing up with your TD.

<Let the ETC fanboys flame-away>

Not by any means in love with or married to ETC, just HATE Strand. Grew up learning ETC syntax, Strand is like another planet to me. Oh well. However, I'm also the person who wants to eventually be a Vista person, so perhaps getting used to other synatxi isn't such a bad route.

BTW the ION rocks!

i really love that you share my hatred of Strand. haha. i actually had to call a friend of mine during a tech rehearsal to talk me through how to do something incredibly simple. it was embarassing.

i really love that you share my hatred of Strand. haha. i actually had to call a friend of mine during a tech rehearsal to talk me through how to do something incredibly simple. it was embarassing.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should hate it.... ETC is by far not the end all be all of consoles, neither is strand. If you want to become a programmer/P.E./lighting person you must be proficient at a host of different consoles. Rarely do you get the chance to name your console, most places you have to deal with what they have in house, so.... get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back