Low Batten Trim?

shaferboy

Today I was in a newly built theater and the low trim on all the battens was around six feet off the ground. Most theaters I've been in have this low trim at between three and four feet off the ground. This appears to be a comfortable working height for most people. I was wondering what reasons there might be for an organization or consultant wanting that high of a low trim? Thanks in advance for any responses!

I'd say it came down to cost.

It's a compromise of travel length of the battens, which is determined by the fly rail to head block distance. That drives how high and low the pipes can travel. If you want maximum height, you might lose some low travel at the deck.

A method I prefer is have the floor blocks in the basement and the rail a flight above the deck. Pretty much guarantees enough pipe travel.

It's a compromise of travel length of the battens, which is determined by the fly rail to head block distance. That drives how high and low the pipes can travel. If you want maximum height, you might lose some low travel at the deck.

A method I prefer is have the floor blocks in the basement and the rail a flight above the deck. Pretty much guarantees enough pipe travel.

Sorry for not adding this earlier, the tension blocks are in a pit around eight feet deep. The bottom stops for the arbor are at deck level though. It seems to me they could have cut the lift lines slightly longer and lowered the arbor stops further into the pit.

Today I was in a newly built theater and the low trim on all the battens was around six feet off the ground. Most theaters I've been in have this low trim at between three and four feet off the ground. This appears to be a comfortable working height for most people. I was wondering what reasons there might be for an organization or consultant wanting that high of a low trim? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Obviously I can't see your venue and you haven't provided much information thus here's a TOTAL GUESS.
I'm presuming you're speaking of single purchase counter-weighted pipes although you could just as easily be speaking of pipes supported by manual, or electrically operated, winches, chain falls or double purchase counter-weighted pipes.
Back to my original supposition:
Let's say the travel distance of the counter-weight arbors is restricted and is less than the full height of the back stage area. Perhaps there are doorways in the way at stage level.
If the system's counter-weights have less travel than the stage's full height, then the pipes will have less travel as well. Perhaps the available options were the pipe's high trim is well below grid level, possibly still in sight of the patrons. If this were the case I can see why someone might choose to have the pipe's high trim higher forcing the low trim to be an unusual height above the deck.
Tell us more and we'll proffer further guesses.
There was only your initial post to go by when I began typing. I'm blind and type AWFULLY slow.
Tag! You're it!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
I suggest asking the consultant or rigging contractor. Based on what you say it seems there is room for more arbor travel and that perhaps just a mistake in install was made. Or someone in charge did not know anything about rigging and didn't want anyone to hit their head on the battens. Seems easily corrected based on your description.

What is high trim?

Which theatre? I'm guessing if you're in Portland we probably installed your rigging.

It was at Franklin High School.
That's my Bosses job and HE'S on vacation! I'll ask him about it Wednesday and get you an answer...if there is one...

Per My boss, whose job this was, " The low Batten trim is 5' per the spec. It's possible that they just weren't in all the way or we still haven't set final low-trim yet."

And there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back