Low Pressure Sodium Lamps in the Theatre

TupeloTechie

I'm really interested in exploring the quality of light emitted from low pressure sodium vapor lamps in an upcoming production. Stylistically, they would be a perfect match for my concept, especially the almost grey-scale (or should I say orange-yellow-scale) perception, due to their narrow band of the spectrum.

However, the problem with using low pressure sodium vapor in the theatre (apart from having to use a mechanical shutter/dimmer) is finding a fixture that houses the rather large lamps.

So far, in all my research I have only found one such fixture, displayed in Max Keller's book, The Light Fantastic. Attached.
lowsodium.jpg
The only problem is, as noted in the caption, the unit is self-made.

Has anyone else found a way to harness the awesome(read: terrible) quality of light from these highly efficient lamps?
Does anyone have ideas as to how one might construct a self-made unit such as the one displayed by Mr. Keller?
Or, any thoughts/concerns would also be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Our photographic darkroom uses a Thomas Duplex low-pressure sodium safelight. It isn't terribly bright (only has one lamp), but if you can find a few of them, that might work. Search for "Thomas Duplex", its a popular safelight. Might be a little expensive, but they've been around for years, so maybe you can find some used units.

I did find something that might be useful on this thread from Ship.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/5705-black-white-effect.html

A year or more likely two ago I was tasked with making a bunch of low pressure sodium vapor wash light fixtures that were to be DMX controlled dousered for a rock tour. Total late minute notice but I got it done in this wish to totally wash the stadium stage with monochromatics sufficient to make people sick if on too long, and totally remove any color from the scene. Dual 90w LPS fixtures with Wyborn's largest douser all based about a Hubbell Sports Lighter wash light stadium lighting reflector assembly that was custom cut for dual lamp tubes across teh focal point,a counter baffle to pick up and re-direct stray light plus yoke with the douser assembly etc..

Great effect, got into rehearsals than instantly cut from the show. Overnight shipping with me driving the fixtures to the drop of point etc., they were way too powerful and a bit more than could be worked with on the show. These days they live in a storage trailer in waiting for a show to get used on. Never used but my how powerful in whiping all light out of a theater or set.

However, since Ship no longer frequents these boards I am not sure how to go about contacting him about possibly renting or purchasing these fixtures.

Please keep up the discussion! Any info is always helpful.

LED fixtures set to one color are pretty darn monochromatic. (R or G or B) The fixtures can be dimmed, and best of all can serve other purposes once the show is over. Might also have less of a headache effect as compared to the LPS orange. Instant on/off too, as the LPS take awhile to come on. Hard blue produces the best effect.

LED fixtures set to one color are pretty darn monochromatic.

I actually haven't thought about this, it's a great thing to try in the future, however for this particular show I am actually wanting that awful LPS orange!

The unit I have attached in my original post seems pretty simple, I'm sure a metal shop could construct it if need be, however if I went this route than I'm not sure what to use as reflectors. I also am not sure if I would need four separate ballast, or if one can power 4 lamps. If I did go this route I would probably use 55w lamps.

Ship may not be dropping by these days, but if there's need we can still get in contact with him...
Otherwise contact one of the mods privately and we'll let you know which company he works for so that you can make enquiries as to whether the devices still exist and are available for hire...

Why not buy something cheap from the home improvement store to modify? Those HPS "farm lights" are pretty cheap and it probably wouldn't be hard to manufacture a bracket for them.

OOOOO I like the LED idea! Find an LED fixture with a good selection of Amber LEDs and go at it!

Why not buy something cheap from the home improvement store to modify? Those HPS "farm lights" are pretty cheap and it probably wouldn't be hard to manufacture a bracket for them.

LPS lamps are much longer than any HPS I have seen. The 18w SOX lamp might fit in a 400w HPS syle fixture, however it wouldn't be bright enough for my purposes.

I have considered using a HPS lamp and trying to filter out the wider spectrum introduced by the mercury vapor within the HPS lamp, not at all efficient, but it might give me the right color and be more manageable. Unfortunately, I've got no way to test this theory at the moment.

I think LEDs are out of the question. I am not aware of any manufacturer making an all amber led fixture, and using using just the amber channel is not near bright enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back