LS9 (2TR) and Computer Multichannel out sound Card) questions

NickVon

I did some looking around here on forums and at online retailers and found some suggestions and partial solutions. So here goes some more specific question about some things already asked here.

I have an LS9-32 It has a x8 TRS MY card in one of the expansion bays.

We are looking to get a Desktop from the College IT that will be a more powerful machine to run Video Camera Capture, PP and multimedia to our projector, and run a Multiplay Audio Cue software.

The base desire is to be able to connect 4 or more channels of Output from the computer into our console (either using 4 or more XLR ( or 4 or more TRS, though less ideal.) A more advanced solution to look at in the future is an Actuall MOTU box for input/output from the PC. This how ever i want to put on the back burner to see how rental groups and my self take to simple multichannel output from PC software first.

so...

1) Do the MOTU boxes, and similar actually act as a Sound card? or mores simply an IO interface. Do I still need an Sound card in the PC either Installed, onboard Motherboard, or eternal.

2) from what i have red on the forums External Sound cards are the way to go for cleaner/less noise audio. Are there recommendations for (fitting the above needs) that would work for the basic uses i'm looking for. (Sound blaster External Sound Card?)

3) Digital Spidif. Seems like all mother boards sound cards has these now-a-days. Can the LS9 2TR plug decode multi-channel audio from this connector on a Sound Card? There by eliminating an external sound card (because we are digital now) and be patched in the console to allow for individual control of the audio channels. (or is it really just a Digital Stereo (tape in/tape out) type function.)

4) Going the more expensive route of getting an additional MYCard for the LS9; What about using a Toslink motherboard sound card signal into <insert LS9 MYcard type here>.

thoughts and Suggestions are welcome. Including if i'm thinking and going about this completely the wrong way. :) We currently use AVD00's Multiplay software so this is really the key functionality i'm trying to address as far as audio effects to multiple positions around the house. As we are using free audio software budget is almost the number 1 priority and would like to look at the simple solutions for under 500$ or less. If this unrealistic the next best price point is welcome :) (The PC is not included in this, just looking for the Audio hardware to connect to it or the console)

Thank you.

I have an LS9-32 It has a x8 TRS MY card in one of the expansion bays.
ware.

The base desire is to be able to connect 4 or more channels of Output from the computer into our console

1) Do the MOTU boxes, and similar actually act as a Sound card? or mores simply an IO interface. Do I still need an Sound card in the PC either Installed, onboard Motherboard, or eternal.

2) from what i have red on the forums External Sound cards are the way to go for cleaner/less noise audio. Are there recommendations for (fitting the above needs) that would work for the basic uses i'm looking for. (Sound blaster External Sound Card?)

3) Digital Spidif. Seems like all mother boards sound cards has these now-a-days. Can the LS9 2TR plug decode multi-channel audio from this connector on a Sound Card? There by eliminating an external sound card (because we are digital now) and be patched in the console to allow for individual control of the audio channels. (or is it really just a Digital Stereo (tape in/tape out) type function.)

4) Going the more expensive route of getting an additional MYCard for the LS9; What about using a Toslink motherboard sound card signal into <insert LS9 MYcard type here>.

1) Yes, a PC interface is the same as a "sound card." The "card" becomes the unit and is transmitted via USB/Firewire, or in some cases there is a PCI/PCMCIA card installed and a cable is run to a breakout box.

2) Your typical stock PC is not going to give you more than 2 (left and right) output channels. Also, the software to control those two channels is often limited.

3) Even though it's digital, SPDIF is only two tracks.

4) Someone please correct me if I am wrong (I've been out of the computer specs world for a while), but I believe most Toslink connectors on consumer sound cards are of the 2-track variety. So if you were to buy the Yamaha MY8AT you would still only get a single stereo signal.

Your best bet (and least expensive) is going to be to buy a four or eight channel interface and plug it in to the 1/4" inputs on your LS9. There are several options that will fit your budget. The MOTU Ultralite is $550, but there are many others out there that will fit both your requirements and budget.

There's no disadvantage to using the TRS inputs on the card (as opposed to the XLR inputs. In fact there are several advantages:

There's no chance of damaging the sound card by the accidental application of phantom power.

If you need to use a channel for a mic instead of a PC out, you don't have to re-patch it on the back of the console - you just change the soft patch from the MY card to the mic preamp. This patch can be done on a per scene basis, so if one act needs 32 mic channels and the next act needs 24 mics and 8 from the PC, the re-patch is accomplished by merely recalling the scene for the next act. (Of course you can also soft patch the MY card to the second layer of channels - if you are not using the second layer as a monitor mix layer.)

2) I guess i was thinking most Stock PC motherboard devices have 5.1 audio, usually it ends up being 6 mini-plugs (after a mic in, aux in and headphones) Now i build my own PC's usually so i checked the back of my IBM thinkcenter office computer and sure enough only a stereo out. If i was able to manage 5.1 channel integrated Sound card on a better PC with our IT department do you think that would be sufficent as a trail basis. What are, thoughts on Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 SB1090 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card, an external 5.1 channel card from Creative Labs? I'm not familiar with what kinda of noise might be introduced on an internal card in such a Venue setup rather then a home computer audio situation. All thoughts and feed back I am welcome to and thankful for.

I can say for myself that creative makes great CONSUMER grade audio products, as far as in a pro world or even educational leave it for your home computer. The 5.1 surround will not give you the results you are going for, and will end up causing you more headache than what it would be worth. My suggestion would be to go with the Motu or and audiofire interface for an external card. The noise level on any computer consumer grade sound card is only amplified with connected to a console. You will be much happier with the external card. it also helps solve an issue of what happens if the computer (which they all do) decide to not work. well then you have to either tear apart the computer and pull the card and hope it will work in another or you could unplug a simple usb cord plug into the next and load the driver its also more reliable than running it off the PC card.

I'll echo DuckJordan and add that Creative's software SUCKS. I used to have a similar box (Audigy 4 Pro, MSRP $250 circa 2004) and it was decent hardware, but such a huge pain in the butt to try and interface with on the software level.

However, the Creative PCI firewire card has a TI chipset, which is awesome, and rather hard to find.

I guess i was thinking most Stock PC motherboard devices have 5.1 audio, usually it ends up being 6 mini-plugs (after a mic in, aux in and headphones)
If they have 6 connectors, they're 7.1. No dedicated headphones out, that's on the front panel. However, on every newer motherboard I've ever used, every jack is switchable to be any type of input or output.

* Pink = Microphone In (mono)
* Blue = Line-In (stereo)
* Green = Line-Out / Front Speakers
* Orange = Center Speaker and Subwoofer
* Black = Rear Surround Speakers
* Grey = Mid Surround Speakers

Thanks for all the feed back folks. The MOTU Ultralit looks like a good fit, even with some frills that I think will go unused like the effects/parameters in the box it self... but maybe not :). Are there other suggestions. I think 4 is probably what i'm looking at as a baseline low, 8 is Great but i have know where to send more then 4 channels of audio actually out to the house right now. Is there a smaller options to look at. It seems like a lot of the smaller M-audio boxes mostly just send out to stereo, is there one of these that might have 4 outputs that i'm overlooking?

Thank you again for all the feedback, this is a new step in our audio here at the theatre that I am super knowledgeable about yet, but am very excited about it.

These are 3 hardware choices that i found while doing some searching and speaking with some others.

TC Electronic Impact Twin

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

These are not company names that i recognize right away, yet they seem to be the scale of hardware that i'm looking for. Any thoughts on the quality of these two companies and maybe these 3 boxes in genera. I'm leaning towards the Saffire pro 24DSP, and the Saffire 6 as the more budget oriented, as far as under 500$ hardware goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back