Lumiline Lamps/clips

icewolf08

CBMod
CB Mods
Hey, the front of house staff at my theatre have come to me to help them fix one of our exit signs in the hall of our balcony. These sights are lighted with Lumiline lamps. Unfortunately one of the connector clips was lost and they needed a fix. I soldered a wire and alligator clip on one end of the lamp so that I could connect it to the power and put the other end of the lamp in the connector clip we still have. So here is the question, does anyone know where I can get the lumiline connector clips. I believe Leviton once made them, but they are quite old and I haven't found anyone who carries them.

Thanks much!

Have you tried Grainger? they have replacement parts for **** near everything. Well ok for everything you need for facilities maintenance.
www.grainger.com

Use the search by product name function, or look for the sign then go to the "replacement parts" function on it's page.

My searches on Grainger have turned up nothing, though I didn't think of them before. I have also tied places like Bulbtronics and Bulbconnection to no avail.

avkid- Those are the lamps, which we have. Each lamp requires two endcaps that snap onto the ends of the lamp. These are re-useable from lamp to lamp. They are about 1/4" think with a metal snap in the center and a clip on the edge. I would post a picture if I had one. We lost one of the endcaps and that is what I am looking for.

Probably have the end cap you need sitting in my garage at the moment.

None the less, Grainger Parts is different than Graniger in general. McMaster Carr in E-Mail is similar to Granger Parts in getting stuff. Two excellent sources in getting anything under the sun not advertised. When I speak of anything, both companies can get about anything in a timely way and cost effective way. I find both sources for anything I want very useful.

Contact either or and talk direct in getting what ever part you need at a reasonable price. Intent with both companies is to help not mark up thru the roof.

Now more a question of cost effectiveness. Wouldn't it be more cost effective given an exit light to replace the fixture rather than replace the part?

Further note on soldering on... etc in modifying the gear... urr, at best safe enough, at worst... you no doubt already know this. Probably will have been better off replacing the fixture with something that has a UL listing your modified fixture no longer has than modifying the gear that even if absolutely correct will always be of in question. Yes it might be a good repair, on the other hand you have to balance both cost effective with what risk for a perminant fixture you are risking lives with or in some future problem you might become suspect even if safe for having casused.

Exit light, salvage what parts you can and replace. Given spare parts in future items replace as safe and work from there until they are all replaced. Much more time efficient and cost effective in the long run I would opinion.

I certainly know the risks of patching together things like exit signs, but on opening day it isn't exactly easy to replace an entire fixture. I have told management that they need to either get the correct part or replace the fixture. I would be happy to do it if they get me the parts. But in the mean time, we are better off with the lighted sign then without. This is why I asked if anyone knew where I could get the part.

I certainly know the risks of patching together things like exit signs, but on opening day it isn't exactly easy to replace an entire fixture. I have told management that they need to either get the correct part or replace the fixture. I would be happy to do it if they get me the parts. But in the mean time, we are better off with the lighted sign then without. This is why I asked if anyone knew where I could get the part.

didn't meant to offend, just a general concept. Say $10.00 for new fixture at times or $10.00 in parts.

Were it me and locally, I would start with the phone book in electrical suppliers to my area. Certainly someone will have sold that brand in the past and by way of replacement fixtures, replacement parts or other options be able to get you what you need quickly.

Other sources take time.

It's understandable that you do what you need. Getting to the point that you have to do what you need is and organization problem. Remember the triangle fast, cheap or good and cover up one. Anyway, sorry if my reply about replacing the fixture didn't help much, but that is the optimum thing you might also consider starting with. Again, the local hardware store or electrical supplier should have battery backup signs you could have replaced the fixture with for in the $10.00 to $30.00 range. This well within the man/hours plus parts price it would take to replace a lamp base on a older fixture total cost. Once you have one replalced also, you now have the spare parts you are looking for.

This is very true. Unfortunately, working under the auspices of the University of Utah means that things like exit signs are really supposed to be dealt with by plant operations or their union gets mad, so we tell them there is an issue and hopefully they com fix it. In the mean time it is working, and I will continue to hound the powers that be to permanently correct the situation.

Several years ago I started a search for these very items (lumiline end caps) and know well the difficulties in tracking them down. In fact I gave up after following several good leads only finding out that I had been beaten to the punch. I now hope to tool up and reproduce the end caps AND sockets in coming months. Whether I can dedicate the time and resources to the project, is going to depend how much interest there is from various groups of interest that need the parts. The cost of the end caps is likely going to run $15 - $20 each. Sure that sounds steep, but unfortunately the limited demand is going to make my tooling cost per piece quite high. I only intend to break even on the project as just to allow for me to have the opportunity to make the part for my own needs. Interested parties should contact me at my registered email address. Pass the word to others that may need these parts so as the keep the cost down for all.
Chuck.

I sent PMs to IceWolf and The Woodmaster, but in case anyone else is interested, these clips have been reproduced and are now available again. Sockets are still N/A — I'll leave that for someone else :twisted: — but the clips tend to be the most common failure point anyhow.

thanks much for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back