Lux meter

KGDJ

I've been given the go-ahead to get a light meter for the shop. I have a healthy budget for it and need something super rugged, waterproof preferred, with a waterproof probe. Anybody here have some suggestions?

I've been given the go-ahead to get a light meter for the shop. I have a healthy budget for it and need something super rugged, waterproof preferred, with a waterproof probe. Anybody here have some suggestions?

...waterproof?

What's a healthy budget $xxx.xx or $x,xxx.xx? Also, actually waterproof - or do you mean water resistant or weatherproof?

I'd look at Fluke, Amprobe, BK Precision, Sekonic, Fisher, Extech, and some camera light meters. I don't know who's going to have a waterproof and ruggedized one, but I imagine you'll be looking at high hundreds if not low thousands. Alternatively, there was that company that had a product designed for phones that essentially made them completely water proof through a coating of sorts. Don't remember much about it (or know if they even exist anymore), but add a soft rubber shell and it becomes rugged.

Last edited:
Ok, let's say $300, or in that area. I'd be okay with a resistant handheld that could have a waterproof probe.

It's for stage/theatre/cinema lighting, and will occasionally be used outdoors in a wet environment. It's also for rentals, which means it needs to survive that, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back