Vintage Lighting Luxtrol? Does anyone know what I have?

mass

Hello everyone.
I've got what looks like a Luxtrol dimmer panel.
Can anyone tell me what year this might be from? Also is there a market for this?
It was apparently working when it was upgraded but sat in a barn for like 15 years. Who knows what all it needs now.
I thought it would make a cool conversation piece but now I'm thinking about selling it. It's rather heavy... and large.
Any thoughts?

IMG_20191119_183624.jpg
IMG_20191119_183517.jpg
IMG_20191119_183945.jpg

1957 - 1970ish ?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've lots more to say, but I'll let others go first.
It was apparently working when it was upgraded but sat in a barn for like 15 years.
Shame it wasn't a '57 Bel Air or T-Bird!

Luxtrol was a manufacturer of autotransformer dimming systems, 60’s into early 70’s as far as I can remember. As well as permanent installs they made “portable“ 6 dimmer packs that were used by a lot or lighting rental shops.

The gear was obsolete by the mid 70’s when SCR electronic dimming and control systems came down in price, though some Luxtrol gear remains in use, a Broadway theater uses stacked dimmers for its house lighting, as example.

The Luxtrol company is still in business as BTW, pretty sure its them as Superior owned them way back.

This stuff essentially has no real value except to a collector of such gear. Or you can try Steve Short at Litetrol Service in Hicksville, NY, 516 681 5288. He still (or did) service this stuff and might have a need for it as parts. Bitch is it’s going to cost a fortune to shop to anybody wanting to buy, due to the weight. And given the exterior rust present I’m not sure I’d want to run any power thru it.

There's a decent amount of copper wire in the windings of the dimmers. Make sure the scrapyard knows that.

Man, wouldn't it be cool to see that all restored and shiny, then put in a big SSI shredder?!?

Thanks for the replies!
I would like to see it repainted and restored.
What do you think the scrap value is? Trying to get the best bang for the buck but also would like it to "live on"

That's a pretty neat repurpose, Mac. I wouldn't really have a need for it though. I was thinking "man cave junk" but I have too much already.

I contacted Steve but hes not there today. Supposed to be getting a call back. Might stick it on ebay tonight and see what happens.
If nobody wants it I guess I'll rip into it and scrap it.

I saw your listing on ebay. Nice pictures, stage pin with no ground. I used to service Luxtrol lighting panels until they stopped making replacement parts and most venues had upgraded. It would be quite a restoration project for anyone.

Man-Cave-Junk is a good description of some of the stuff I have held on to but I try not to keep items that are so big and heavy.

Hello everyone.
I've got what looks like a Luxtrol dimmer panel.
Can anyone tell me what year this might be from? Also is there a market for this?
It was apparently working when it was upgraded but sat in a barn for like 15 years. Who knows what all it needs now.
I thought it would make a cool conversation piece but now I'm thinking about selling it. It's rather heavy... and large.
Any thoughts?

View attachment 18782View attachment 18783View attachment 18785
These take me back. The first time I ever ran lights (1963) it was two of these units in my college theater. Good times.

We had one in our smallest (99 seat) theater at Evanston Township HS in 1969-73. It was balanced on a stack of milk-carton-like objects. A miracle that it never took a plunge. Plus of course a big honking rotary autotransformer (variac?) for house lights, and a few early wall-box / residential dimmers for specials - I think those might have included adapters made with zip cord. No flames on my watch, at least.

A not insignificant amount of luxtrol autotransformers "pulled from a light board" have recently been listed on eBay from a seller in Huston. In fact, the number of items available suggests it's near the exact amount of autotransformers present in this board. Its possible we finally know its fate.

A few years back we sold a bunch of old 6K autotransformer to a regional glass artist who is using them to run his cooling ovens (where he slowly cools large glass pieces over a number of days/weeks/months to prevent stress cracking)

If you are thinking of just scrapping them....you might want to pull some brushes out - They are the number one failure in old autotransformer....and they are not easy to source anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back