M7CL: Channel Matrix send vs. Mix Matrix Send?

Chris Chapman

So I'm building a new show on my M7 and am having an issue with Matrix sends.

For arguments sake:

Channel 24 is a wireless mic. Mixes 1-8 are reserved for Monitor & effects sends. Mixes 9-16 are reserved for group control. I have the channel turned ON in Mix 9-16, but without a send level assigned on the encoder. I have no level assigned on the channel matrix send page.

I have levels for Mixes 9-16 set on the Matrix page. Sliders are all at 0.

The question is this: If I bring up the Matrix Send level on the channel side, will this boost the level significantly over where it is set in the Mix Matrix send? To use a lighting term, is this a highest takes priority issue, where the highest level is the send, or is it a mix level where I'm continuing to add db to the signal?

So if I'm reading this correctly, you have a channel routed (at unity, for argument's sake) to a Mix send, then that Mix is routed to a Matrix (also at unity), and you're wondering what happens if you dial that channel directly into the Matrix send in addition to passing it through the mix? No this won't add on, it will basically treat it like highest takes precedence, yes. This is useful for things like verb and other effects - if you route one of those mixes to an effects rack, then send that mix to the matrix, then you can always have the dry signal coming direct from the channel to the matrix, but you can also add verb in without increasing gain*.

Make sense?

*In this example, you will add a bit of gain because of the effects rack, but this doesn't come from the piling-on of two separate feeds.

Why is the channel turned on in more than one group?

I believe that both signals would route to the Matrix and sum - IF both paths have the same latency. If not, you'd get some nasty sounding comb filtering. I suspect the latter.

Monitors on the first buses, FX sends on the last, and groups in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back