MA Lighting Launches dot2 Series of Consoles

isquint

I thought everyone might like to see this...
The essence of lighting control: dot2 range introduced
MA Lighting is well known for its approach towards professional lighting control and enjoys a distinguished reputation for quality and reliability. Now MA presents a new range of compact lighting control solutions – the dot2.

Learn more about the dot2 series at http://www.actlighting.com/MA/products/dot2/

Attachments

• 120211 MA dot2 core_lamp_magnet_right.jpg
    120211 MA dot2 core_lamp_magnet_right.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 44
I checked it out on the convention floor at USITT today and I have to say, for the price this console is amazing. If i was ETC I would be kinda worried right now. I do think competition is healthy, it keeps everyone on their toes.

Looks like MA really did a good job on this. I do wish the inbuilt screens were a little bit bigger, but I don't think it'll be that much of an issue given the software that they've put in it. I'm looking forward to downloading and checking out the .2 onPC software when it becomes available. I do like that they've added a button wing/XL-B option, for a lot of shows with lots of movers these days you're looking at a few group masters but then access to dozens of cues at a moment's notice. I also really like the fact that it has 4096 parameters right out of the box. That's great for lots of LED fixtures via ArtNet.

Remember that the prices published in the price lists are "List Prices". A good relationship with your A.C.T. Lighting dealer can go a long way when it comes to getting a good price on something like this.

I was told by their reps that this version is $19k, there are two more versions, one of which is $14k.

We shot a demo video, it will be posted next week.

It supposed to be a less powerful, but more streamlined operating system. The .2 is not compatible with the MA2 line of consoles, but it is also targeted at different market. I think this is squarely aimed at theaters, churches, and school, where the MA2 line is too expensive, and too complex and time consuming to learn.

It looks interesting.

This is also squarely aimed at ChamSys and Avolites and will probably do very well. It will also get people on-board the MA train who previously were put off by price and complexity. It will be interesting to find out the limitations of the new OS and whether there can be any compatibility at all between the two lines. Its clearly simplified, but are any of the modes of operations the same, such as syntax and key sequence? It is a bold move that they have gone this route. Avolites is the same across the range - a Tiger Touch is just smaller than a Sapphire, and a ChamSys MQ40 is just smaller than an MQ200 for instance - not lacking in anything except connectivity.
Are they aiming at ETC as well do you think? Thats going to be a tough one for sure. This will be an intriguing development to keep an eye on.

The fact that it still has playbacks makes me think this is still a programmer based desk, right? That right there is the one put-off that most people have with it... but it is also the most powerful feature of the desk.

It is still too expensive for the small club market. To me not being compatible with the larger desks might be its biggest weaknesses. Though it would easily replace the again Hog3's that are out there.

It is a programmer based desk yes. However, very easy to program. According to the UK distributors the price for us Brits is really good:
Dot2 Core is £6600 list and the larger ones £8600. That is really great value. It would be good if the show files could work on the bigger desks.

Okay, apparently they do:
dot2 into gMA2: Yes, but Software Versions must fit.
gMA2 into dot2: No.

That makes sense.

I don't think MA intends anyone who already uses the MA2 to switch to the dot2. I think they figured out that for a lot of people, the only cost effective MA option was the Command wing, and with LED and moving lights now available to a much wider market, that many of those users really need powerful moving light controls, with a less complex operating system.

Now we will have to wait and see is it still feel like a full featured desk. There is a delicate balance that they must play between making a useful desk for its market, but not powerful enough that it competes with its Big brothers.

Okay, apparently they do:
dot2 into gMA2: Yes, but Software Versions must fit.
gMA2 into dot2: No.

That makes sense.

Well they're not going to capture the Broadway market that way. Lots of shows get programmed on multiple Eos/Gio desks with the master show files dumped to an single Ion for the show run. Having Ion with the same channel count and OS as the larger desks makes it work and is very cost effective.

Granted it's a smallish market of 40 theaters and not everyone's using that OS, so not a huge market, but still...

Well they're not going to capture the Broadway market that way. Lots of shows get programmed on multiple Eos/Gio desks with the master show files dumped to an single Ion for the show run. Having Ion with the same channel count and OS as the larger desks makes it work and is very cost effective.

Granted it's a smallish market of 40 theaters and not everyone's using that OS, so not a huge market, but still...

The MA2 would be much more appropriate for Broadway shows, but I don't think that MA cares about Broadway at all.

I am not affiliated with MA and I dont have any insider knowledge other than experience in the industry, so these are the conclusions I have drawn. The future will either prove or disprove my thoughts here.

People also need to understand that there are already 3 consoles in the MA2 line, plus the onPC wings, all of which have identical functionality(albeit different sizes obviously), with the exception of parameter count.(all can backup a full 65,536 parameters and that parameters not channels).

The dot2 is for a lower end market, that have the need for intuitive moving light control, without the learning curve of MA2, and is not intended to compete with the MA2, and I doubt they could not care less that 40 theaters on one street in NYC have ETC desks; It's the 4 million other other theaters across the globe that have aging ETC desks that they want.

But until we get our hands on these, this is all just conjecture.

The fact that it still has playbacks makes me think this is still a programmer based desk, right? That right there is the one put-off that most people have with it... but it is also the most powerful feature of the desk.

It is still too expensive for the small club market. To me not being compatible with the larger desks might be its biggest weaknesses. Though it would easily replace the again Hog3's that are out there.
Genuine question here, what is a Non-programmer based desk? And what is the big difference(s) compared to a MA, HOG, or Vista for example?

Still feels on the expensive side to me. For the price of one of these and a wing you could get into a pearl expert and a touch wing.

It's the same for the broadway tours as well. They're carrying ION's, or occasionally a MA1 light or ultralight. Shows that were all probably programmed on their big brothers.
The MA2 would be much more appropriate for Broadway shows, but I don't think that MA cares about Broadway at all.

I am not affiliated with MA and I dont have any insider knowledge other than experience in the industry, so these are the conclusions I have drawn. The future will either prove or disprove my thoughts here.

People also need to understand that there are already 3 consoles in the MA2 line, plus the onPC wings, all of which have identical functionality(albeit different sizes obviously), with the exception of parameter count.(all can backup a full 65,536 parameters and that parameters not channels).

The dot2 is for a lower end market, that have the need for intuitive moving light control, without the learning curve of MA2, and is not intended to compete with the MA2, and I doubt they could not care less that 40 theaters on one street in NYC have ETC desks; It's the 4 million other other theaters across the globe that have aging ETC desks that they want.

But until we get our hands on these, this is all just conjecture.

If they want ETC's market they priced themselves to high. Most theaters will maybe glance at it and then buy an ION or Element for less than half of the cost.

If they want ETC's market they priced themselves to high. Most theaters will maybe glance at it and then buy an ION or Element for less than half of the cost.

This very well may turn out to be true. They certainly are shooting for a lower end market though, whether or not they actually balance features and price is TBD. Quite frankly, maybe they just don't want the lowest end market, just like I don't want to work with bar bands and wedding DJ. Plus, I simply could not afford to work in those markets.

Selling a Lot of low priced consoles also requires a lot more support, and a lot more investment in infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back