MA Lighting Network Backbone & AMX controller integration

DMooreJr

Starting to kick around replacing the Strand shownet network/setup , console (550's,510's,300's) due to lack of parts mainly. Current multiple space venue has complete shownet backbaone through out venue. Each performance space has a 510 running house/work lights/relays etc with AMX (Corp not protocal) control surfaces throughout space for non performance/maintenance type control of house and work spaces. Just curious if anyone has any experience with MA Network and AMX integration and can share some feeling pro or con as to the use, ability or lack of ability, shortfalls etc of the system.

Thanks in advance.
DM

There will be a master processor or processors for the AMX system. They will then connect to the lighting system in some fashion, eitherr by RS232 interface to a controller of some description on the Strand network or POSSIBLY by ethernet interface, though this would probably be an UGLY interface to put it nicely... My bet is that there is a piece of hardware taking RS232 on one side and spitting out DMX on the other that is brought onto the Strand network...

Finding out how the AMX system ties to the dimming system is probably the first step. As Chris noted, there should be an AMX processor, or multiple processors, somewhere. There may also be one or more remote boxes on the AMX network. But either the central processor or a remote box probably connects to the existing systems via DMX512, TCP/IP, RS-422/232/485, MIDI, contact closure or low voltage logic.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you use the same connectivity, if any of the actions or commands differ, be that on the user interfaces and/or in the communication with the dimming system, then you may have to reprogram the AMX system.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you use the same connectivity, if any of the actions or commands differ, be that on the user interfaces and/or in the communication with the dimming system, then you may have to reprogram the AMX system.

And what Brad really means here is have it reprogrammed for you. AMX / Crestron are NOT DIY systems. So factor in that this might cost a few dollars which will need to be added to the project budget...

And what Brad really means here is have it reprogrammed for you. AMX / Crestron are NOT DIY systems. So factor in that this might cost a few dollars which will need to be added to the project budget...

I appreciate all the info and responses but as always the way with techs/designers (I'm guilty of this too) the question is getting off topic and the responses are taking on their own form.

I know what needs to be done to make the system work, what needs to be interfaced between AMX, controllers, interfaces and what I would call a production lighting network.

I was basically asking if anyone has experiences/opinions pro or con with MA networks and integrated AMX control.

Thanks
DM

Ok, so let's back up a step then...
Does the current system properly serve the needs of its users?

How does the AMX currently mesh with the 510?
This will be critical to working out how you could make the AMX mesh with the MA Net which will ultimately determine the possibility firstly and the user experience secondly of the integration.

I think it's going to be difficult to find someone to say yeah I have that setup because a] it's not a common arrangement and b] EVERY AMX / Crestron system will result in a different experience to its users by virtue of its programming so you are really comparing apples and grapes to try and generalise anything AMX...

I appreciate all the info and responses but as always the way with techs/designers (I'm guilty of this too) the question is getting off topic and the responses are taking on their own form.

I know what needs to be done to make the system work, what needs to be interfaced between AMX, controllers, interfaces and what I would call a production lighting network.

I was basically asking if anyone has experiences/opinions pro or con with MA networks and integrated AMX control.
I think the discussion is quite relevant if you understand how an AMX system works. AMX and Crestron control systems are programmable, integrated control systems that are created using any of a number of available components. They typically consist of at least some form of user interface, a processor and device interfaces. In many cases the processor and at least some of the device interfaces may be combined in a single box. The system is then programmed for each specific application, an AMX or Crestron system is literally a blank slate until you define the programming and the user interfaces using their proprietary programming tools. At the same time, these systems can, and typically do, interface with a variety of external systems and devices. You could have a control system communicating with the dimming system, audiovisual systems, HVAC systems, motorized rigging and other systems and devices. It could be providing any level of interface with those systems. It could rely on manual activation from the control system interface, trigger actions based on input from external systems or devices, have scheduled events, employ logic that links actions or use any combination of these.

There are numerous ways the existing AMX system could interface with both the existing dimming system and any new dimming system. There are even more ways that it could be programmed to interact with those systems, all of which would rely on code written specifically for that application. Since what an AMX system is, does and can do is not predefined and specific to each application, what it really comes down to is knowing how the interface between the AMX system and the dimming system currently works and how you want it to work, then one can start looking at what may be required to effectively get between those two points.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back