MA2 node and controller

Jon Sira

Hello.

I got a 2port node that I can borrow as much as I like from my friend.

Can someone recomend me a controller that will work well in my onpc set up with the node.

Getting Encoders to work as you would expect is a bit of a task, requiring quite a few custom macros, and even then its kind of messy.
I would recommend a touch screen to start with, and change your encoder settings in options to "rotation" instead of "MA." A touch screen is the best way I have found for using the command section of the console. I find the touch screen to be nearly as good as using encoders on a console. Touch screen is a little slower than using the hardkeys on a console, but its not a bad compromise.

Most midi controllers will work for playback buttons and faders. An APC Mini is a halfway decent controller at an inexpensive price. You will need something like this http://quantendrehung.de/cms/eigene/midi-to-art-net-converter/ to make faders work with MA. You could also stay all midi and use BOME, but its a little more expensive and more complicated to setup.

Do a search for Midi and Midicon on http://ma-share.net/ to find more info.
The midicon can be setup to be pretty full functioning, but its more expensive and a lot more in depth to setup.

Thank you for the recommendation of the program. I will for sure get myself a touchscreen.

The best would of course be to have a comand wing, but the money they charge for it...

Anyways, i can do all the programing inthe theater on the ultra light. I just need to find a good set up for touring.

You can also use one of the ports on the node as an input, and use any DMX console for playback. I have come across basically no robustly built midi controllers, and the few decent ones, like the midicon pro, are so expensive, you might as well save up for an MA wing. Most have really short faders, and the buttons are way to close together and feel kind of soft, without good tactile response. The good part about a cheap controller like an APC mini, or Korg nanokontrol is that if it does break, you can get a new one for $50-99 shipped overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back