Automated Fixtures MAC 500 Reset Problem

joeboo46

OK so i'm back with yet another MAC 500 question. This forum got me through the last problem (THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE) so lets see what we know on this subject.
I have a MAC 500 that resets when I send it a LAMP ON command from the console. It resets properly with no errors. If I go up and lamp on at the fixture the lamp strikes normally. Then it operates normally so it's not an issue of the address being off one number I checked that. It also will reset when you send a RESET command from the console (I thought what the heck maybe it will lamp on if I send a reset command). It is not something in the patch i also checked that nothing has changed. Anyway any ideas??? Or do I just have two soft reset options on the console now?

Do you have another mac that you can check the programing with? My thought off the bat is that perhaps the fixture does not have lamp on via DMX. You might have to flip through the menus toggle the option on.

The reset channel and the control channel used to strike the lamp (and open the shutters) is all the same channel on the MAC500.

Completely wild guess, without knowing more info, is that after you apply the strike command, you (or the desk) is not properly returning the control channel to the shutter open (or closed) position.

What console are you using?

-Abby
Martin repair tech, among other hats I wear...
Posted via Mobile Device

I just spent the past twenty minutes composing a reply, just to have it disappear before my very eyes as the page refreshed. I'm not sure I have time to be as detailed the second time around...but let me give it a shot...

The control channel issue is a function of older desks where you had to operate the automated fixture control channel on a fader or wheel, passing through the reset command to get to lamp strike.

With the MA, after you give the fixture a lamp on command, are you doing either a "clear all" command or telling the shutter to open or close? I am not very familiar with the MA operation, but my understanding is that the fixture needs to see another command after the lamp on command. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

For some reason did you send a reset command from the MA and have not released that command?

Is your fixture in the right mode? Mode 4 usually works best with the MA...make sure you have the right profile chosen out of the library, as well.

Do all the other functions work properly? Does pan actually pan? Does fine pan actually fine pan? Does gobo wheel one actually turn when you try to control it (I understand if your lamp is not struck, that some of these things will be difficult to see, but you should be able to tell by the pan and tilt).

Is your fixture set up to lamp on via DMX in the menu settings?

Are there any other MAC500's in the rig? Are they exhibiting this same behavoir?

Has this ever happened before with this fixture, perhaps on another show?

One quick thing to try would be to save and exit out of your current show, check the settings on the fixture, then start a brand-new show with just this fixture. Double-check that you've chosen the right profile. Is the issue still repeating itself?

Finally, are you positive that the fixture is actually resetting? Does it say reset (rst or srst) on the display of the fixture (I can't remember if the MAC500's have this message)? If so, which message are you getting?

Sometimes, if there is a sensor problem in the fixture, the fixture will appear to do a partial-type reset...shutters will close, wheels will spin inside, then eventually time out, sometimes without giving you any errors.

Are there any other messages displayed on the fixture at all besides either the address or the reset command?

-Abby

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back