Mac 600 vs. Studio Color 575

Radiant

We're considering purchasing two or three more 575 watt wash intels at church. Of the two, which would you choose? Please note that our budget dictates we purchase used equipment, so durability, ease of repair, and parts cost are important. Does either of them have a better set of features? How does the light output compare? Do either of them have any inherent problems?

Consensus in "lost" posts was MAC600 has a slight edge over the SC575, but either should fit your needs, so weigh price and condition.

Thanks Derek. I think I'd read all the posts before they vanished, and came to the same conclusion. Plus I finally got through to my friend at the PAC, who had some pretty critical things to say about High End's repair center. Thus, we are pursuing a trio of Mac 600s. Thanks all!

Although I seem to be a bit late with this comment, don't forget that the SC575's are fanless, and so while still not silent, do run quieter than the M600's.
If noise is no concern though, I'll spec the M600's over the SC's on my shows any day.

The mac 600's are also convection cooled. Though they do have a fan in the head that does absolutely nothing, but keep highend from sueing martin over the convection cooling design. That one little fan doesnt really add any noise.

Isn't there a "studio mode" setting on the Macs that will shut the fan off when the temperature is below a certain level? When we got our first pair, I think one was in studio mode and one was in standard mode. The one in studio mode moved slower, in an attempt to keep the noise level down. Pan and tilt, color changes - everything was slower. Pretty quickly I made sure they were both on the standard mode.
I know for certain that there is a studio mode on our Coemar ProSpots. How would lamp life, and parts life, be affected by running the fan less? Maybe it would suck in a bit less dust and Neutron haze?
Quickly, to the manual!!

I dont like the Mac line at all. Great out of the box, but thats about it. There slow noisy and are limited in there ability. Go for Vari*Lite. VL2500Spot is the best

I dont like the Mac line at all. Great out of the box, but thats about it. There slow noisy and are limited in there ability. Go for Vari*Lite. VL2500Spot is the best

That's just the Mackie quote from the TOS on what not to do changed around for lighting.

Martin hasn't become one of the top manufacturers of automated lighting fixtures for no reason. On all of my jobs where I've used MACs or seen MACs used, they haven't given me any problems.

And the OP already bought 4 MAC600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back