Mac 700 copies/QMAXZ

adude23

Hello there guys,
Enquireing into whether any of you have used the old mac 550/700 copies that are being spat out of china at the moment?
Are they any good although being cheap?
I know there going to be nowhere near the quality of the mac's but for a cheap fixture they look amazing
Let me know
Cheers,

Nope, Mac 700's are amazing. No copies could do anywhere near the stuff the Mac 700 does, its not just the quality, you would lose heaps of the cool features that make the 700's so awesome. Can you post me some links so I can have a look at them?

Im a big Mac fan. Lots of the features will hardly ever get used but god they are cool.
Check out the site for full specs Mac 700 (Profile)
Nick

I don't like MACs, but any cheap copy is going to be just that, a cheap copy. Not only will it not look as good, but it will also break down more and be harder to repair.

Mike

If they are anything like the knock off Robes then stay FAR away from them. They will be insanely loud. (They sound guy said they sounded like jet engines.) They will appear to have the same functions and controls of the real light but in reality have whole systems missing and random dmx channels that do absolutely nothing. The cmy will be completely wrong. The gobos will not rotate the same way no mater which way you tell them to. Zooming changes the beam angle a maximum of 5 degrees. The frost filter will do absolutely nothing. If you have multiple fixtures none of them will do the same thing even if programed to. In this case the colors and gobos will also not match up exactly from fixture to fixture. The pan and tilt are either extremely slow or extremely fast and varies from fixture to fixture. Sometimes the shutter just won't open or it randomly strobes. The lamp will only strike once a day (if your that lucky to begin with.) Oh and did I mention that the omega clamps will break, so stick an extra safety or two on them... because they will be about twice as heavy as the real thing.

Of course this is the Robe knockoff I'm talking about, your Mac knockoff may be different; but I can almost guarantee you there will be some funny typos and misspellings all over it.

Yeah, another good point, the manual will be in Engrish.

I don't know about QMAXc but Qmaxz is a Dutch brand.
They seem to develop their own products but I can't say I researched them in depth yet (though their new QME700P does seem to be fairly unique on the market featuring RDM, ArtNet and ACN as control protocols).

So I don't know for sure but everything I heard about them so far it would seem they design and make their own products, so not knockoffs of the MAC series...
But as said above I never researched them in depth, I will do some asking around.
They probably do manufacture in China, but afaik most manufacturers do that.

I know they design all their own stuff but you can see the similarities between these fixtures at the Mac series.
I must admit they seem VERY different on the inside but do feature nice little Gadgets such as rotating prisims, rotating gobo's colour wheels zooming irises, and a full range dimmer,
I'd have to say they seem quite appealing to add to the hire stock obviously not for professional heads but for trashy flashy dance show stuff i reckon they'll do the job,

These really don't seem like cheap knockoffs, more just alternatives, they are probably made in China, but what isn't these days? I'm not sure how much of a price difference we are talking about here, but they aren't the ones listed on Ebay with the word "LOOK" at the start and the whole thing written in capitals.
Nick

Well I'm picking up a pair in a flight case for £1000 special offer which don't sound to bad to me, Stage electrics are doing them for £1900 a pop!

Well I'm picking up a pair in a flight case for £1000 special offer which don't sound to bad to me, Stage electrics are doing them for £1900 a pop!
Wow, huge price difference, even though its in £.
Nick

Wow! Significant discount. Definitely report back on the build quality of the unit, whether it seems sturdy enough, and how noisy it is. I'd be interested to know. With so many units coming out of China (odds are these were made in China), it's sometimes hard to separate the ones that might be worth it from the ones that you really shouldn't even think about, and these look like they might be decent.

They do indeed, I don't think Stage Electrics would try selling cheap tatt to there worth while customers,
I mean i suppose it's a sort of 'budget stage electrics' range!

I will defiantly report back on quality and maybe I'll take some pics and videos to so you guys can have a look for yourselves :)

Oh P.S. if any mods are out there would you mind changing the spelling mistake in the title to QMAXZ instead of QMAXC as it's starting to bug me now! :p

Many Thanks,

QMAXZ is a German company, which makes me think they'd be of better quality even if they're manufactured in China. They seem pretty nice, but that's just my opinion. I do like the Neutrix PowerCon for power though, nice feature.

Be interesting to see how this pans out (excuse the ML pun) whether or not they are comparable, the fact that they are being sold by reputable companies may mean that Martin may have some more competition.
Nick

My thoughts exactly, i mean Sennheiser do alright!

I just love the designs of the MACs, i think they're so beautifully designed and the fact that these are the same only cheaper inside really appeals to me!

I used the QMAXZ QS250S in a recent prodution becuase SE didnt have any Mac 250 fixtures left...

NEVER again will i use them, first one we had broke a 2 days after we got it, a day before tech run... It wasnt even one of the 2 we had on the floor, it was one of the ones rigged! So that had to be taken away and fixed of site somewhere after a SE technciaian came and took a look at it.

Also, my other major grouch about it is the dimming, the dimming is properly c**p. Its this jerky dimming when dimmed slowly which really ruined the one effect we had at the end of our production.

So personally i wouldnt reccomend but i dont know whether the larger fixtures are any better...

Aw, that's bad news, I really like the Mac range but so expensive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back