MAC 700 Profile troubleshoot

Need help to find out why the Mac 700 Profile keeps burning out the Osram HTI 700/D4/75 quickly and won't strike. I have attached a picture. When I strike it the unit seems to buzz slightly then errors with a service code to change lamp. I'm not sure where to start looking as replacing the lamp is getting costly. LOL
Osram HTI 700-D4-75.jpg

Need help to find out why the Mac 700 Profile keeps burning out the Osram HTI 700/D4/75 quickly and won't strike. I have attached a picture. When I strike it the unit seems to buzz slightly then errors with a service code to change lamp. I'm not sure where to start looking as replacing the lamp is getting costly. LOLView attachment 23837
What is quickly?
Did you clean the lamp when you installed them?

Quickly is; the former tech replaced it once, then I replaced it, and it struck once then wouldn't strike. I did not clean it, but was careful not to touch it.
HMIs get very very hot. So it isn’t impossible that while even being careful oil or dirt could of gotten on the lamp.

How long did they sit before being used?
It could be a bad batch. Instead of burning a new one you could take a working lamp and move it to the problem fixture, that way if it blows it’s not a total waste.

If it does I would start with replacing the starter. As you are getting it to strike but over striking.

While you got her open make sure all the fans are working and the temp sensor is cleaned.

Good luck. These old girls are finicky but work horses.

That sounds like a bad ignitor (in the fixture) it looks like. What happened is that the lamp was not able to fully strike, and as a result it failed in the middle of the start-up process and the mercury is now stuck to the inner bulb wall (the black shiny coating is mercury), so the lamp will be very hard to strike. You MAY get it to work putting that lamp in another Martin fixture, as the older Martin Pro fixtures had pretty powerful Ignitors that supported Hot-Restrike. If that doesn't work, if you know anyone with a cattle prod (I'm not kidding, oddly enough), if you give the lamp a high voltage jolt, it will cause the mercury to revert back to the useable state and clean the quartz, and the lamp should work once more. I only know this because years ago when I first joined OSRAM our quality manager would get these into the lab for RMAs, and he (for reasons I can't comprehend) had a cattle prod there, and he would zap them, the lamp would be clear once more, and he would say, "Good as new! send this back to the customer." He was a Texan at heart, even if he lived in New Hampshire his whole life.

Lamps that look like that happen for one of a few possible reasons:

1) Faulty Ignitor
2) The board op accidentally hit the command to Strike twice (double-tap) and during the ignition process the fixture was told to shut down.
3) During the initial strike of the lamp, before it achieved a steady plasma state, the fixture was turned off- same result as above.

The end result is the same- the mercury in the lamp (which aids in the ignition of the lamp) is quickly changed from a plasma to a solid, and it plasters itself on the inner wall of the entire capsule. Because it is stuck there as a coating, it is not free in the lamp to aid in the ignition process anymore- and now you have a "bad lamp" that is very hard or impossible to ignite.

Cheers,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back