Mac Apps Poll

Not that I want to sound like a complete Mac fanboy, but the possibility of Mac os from 2017 working on an M1 mac with completely different architecture is kind of a stretch request. You can still buy any new Intel Mac if you want to run older software. Even an older mac used. Heck, my computer I'm typing on right now is running 10.13.
I understand that even Windows 11 can run on a 1Ghz celeron with 4GB of ram but come on. Shouldn't we be excited about technology advances?
Yeah, but that's not my problem.

My problem is when they do in-processor upgrades to the OS that break APIs, such that the program I've been happily using for a decade, which is not only abandoned, but *it's author is dead* -- it is not *getting* any more upgrades -- gratuitously stops working.

So my choices are "give it its own machine with an old enough OS, and pray nothing eats it", or "throw it out and replace it with... well, there's nothing to replace it with, is there now?"

This actually applied to QLab -- 3 would read 2, but 4 will not, and I had a bunch of stuff in 2 that, well, isn't *useless*, but I can't get to it now *because gratuitous OS upgrades won't let 2 run anymore... and possibly 3; I think I've been pinning my OSs so as not to break QLab3.

And *I make a living as an IT pro*, I can't imagine how this version skew stuff imposed on users by Apple not really caring anymore* affects people who are just LDs and SDs.

[ * they *used* to care; when they dumped 68K and PowerPC, those old apps ran for a *really long time* in emulation; that's a large part of why users were so devoted to them. They cared. ]

Most of the issues are with the requirement for a TPM, which is common in laptops and business PCs but rare in home PCs. Sometimes one can be enabled with a BIOS setting. Sometimes it can be fixed by adding a $15 aftermarket part. Sometimes you’re pooched.

The bigger issue for me is Micro$oft’s insistence on a network login account. They have tried this before and it always gets pushback. Here is hoping this time around it meets a similar demise.
If you mean "requiring a Microsoft Account to set up the OS", the stock solution has always been "Pick Domain Join and create a local account"; when that doesn't work, the secondary trick is "unplug the Network just before you get to that step".

Is *that* not working on 11 either?

I'm about to ship something like 50 desktops in 21H2; if I can't join them on domains without a MSAccount to set them up...

The new Mini I just bought, used, BTdubs, is a 2012 6,1. EveryMac seems pretty confident that motherboard will *not* take 16GB SODIMMS, for 32G; I'm stuck at 2x8GB -- can anyone overrule that view from *firsthand knowledge* before I buy RAM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back