Automated Fixtures Mac Quantum wash vs Robe 1000LED beam

bmcewing

My venue (2200 seat concert hall) will be purchasing 18 moving head LED wash lights to replace our 2kw strand alto fresnels. We've demo'd a selection of fixtures recently and have narrowed it down to either the mac quantum wash or the Robe 1000 ledbeam.

Both fixtures impressed although they were demo'd a month apart so hard to compare from memory alone. The quantum wash seemed brighter, required less DMX channels and had the rotating lens. The 1000 ledbeam was bright enough without blowing me away, cheaper and was super quiet.

Our primary needs are a great warm white output and as quiet as possible given that we need to use these for orchestral performances/conferences. They will do a lot of rock n roll etc also... We already have 8 robe dl4s profiles (very quiet), 6 b-eye k10 cc (not so quiet) and 5 chauvet R2 spots. All controlled from a GrandMA2 ultralight with faderwing.

Does anyone have any 'real world' experience of these fixtures? I'd appreciate any views/ideas, particularly on fan noise levels..

I recently did a spec for an orchestra space switching over to LED moving washes. We ended up landing on Aura XBs, because they are incredibly quiet, and there's a lot of power coming out of that little thing. My experience with the Quantum is that they aren't particularly quiet. I don't have any experience with the 1000 LEDbeam.

I recently did a spec for an orchestra space switching over to LED moving washes. We ended up landing on Aura XBs, because they are incredibly quiet, and there's a lot of power coming out of that little thing. My experience with the Quantum is that they aren't particularly quiet. I don't have any experience with the 1000 LEDbeam.
Thanks for the info, we had a look at the xb's alongside the quantum washes, maybe we should have viewed them on their own as we were obviously drawn to the quantums. The arua xb was almost completely silent. I just wasn't convinced the output would be enough to give an open white wash that could replace our 24 2k fresnels. We would normally set the trim height around 9m for an orchestral performance and the stage is 17.5m wide by 12.5 depth. Perhaps we'll just have to practice some fan management on the quantums (ramp them up pre show,/during interval) or go with the robes...... decisions decisions........

Thanks again for the info

If you are thinking about Aura XB, you might consider the Chauvet Rouge R2 wash, especially if you are happy with the spots. They are a bit brighter than a original aura; I don't know how they compare to the XB though. They do have a cooling fan, but they are not loud, and I think the aura, and XB have fans as well. See if a local dealer rep can get you some for a demo. I have been really happy with them.

24 2k's in white and smaller fixtures are probably going to be a bit more than 18-24 fixtures. The Quantum and K-20 are MUCH bigger an can get it done, but you would have to consider the noise from more smaller fixtures, vs less large fixtures. More fixtures is great for a rock show, but as important as being quiet in some situations.

For the price to performance ratio, the R2 wash is worth a look, if you are considering smaller fixtures, you would need more, but the price is much less per fixture.

If you are thinking about Aura XB, you might consider the Chauvet Rouge R2 wash, especially if you are happy with the spots. They are a bit brighter than a original aura; I don't know how they compare to the XB though. They do have a cooling fan, but they are not loud, and I think the aura, and XB have fans as well. See if a local dealer rep can get you some for a demo. I have been really happy with them.

24 2k's in white and smaller fixtures are probably going to be a bit more than 18-24 fixtures. The Quantum and K-20 are MUCH bigger an can get it done, but you would have to consider the noise from more smaller fixtures, vs less large fixtures. More fixtures is great for a rock show, but as important as being quiet in some situations.

For the price to performance ratio, the R2 wash is worth a look, if you are considering smaller fixtures, you would need more, but the price is much less per fixture.

We've decided to go ahead with the quantum washes, they really impressed. I've not seen the Chauvet washes in the flesh but have heard that they are brighter than the auras. We're very happy with our R2 spots, especially at the price point however we do find them to be quite noisy. We will be looking to replace our pars with LED alternatives in the near future. Looking at and additional 6 b-eyes or 12 aura xb. I will demo the Chauvet units also. Thanks for your info!

I definitely think you made the right choice there - the color system in the Quantum Wash/Aura XB produces really nice whites. I think that the Quantum Wash is also the brightest of the products you listed, which is definitely the way to go for replacing 2K fresnels.

I'm a fan of the Chauvet stuff but I do agree with you on the noise part - I didn't realize how noise R2 Spots could be until I had 16 of them on in a silent room. When they all moved to a new position together there was significant noise. I'd always worked with them in much noisier environments before.

I definitely think you made the right choice there - the color system in the Quantum Wash/Aura XB produces really nice whites. I think that the Quantum Wash is also the brightest of the products you listed, which is definitely the way to go for replacing 2K fresnels.

I'm a fan of the Chauvet stuff but I do agree with you on the noise part - I didn't realize how noise R2 Spots could be until I had 16 of them on in a silent room. When they all moved to a new position together there was significant noise. I'd always worked with them in much noisier environments before.

Our 5 R2s make enough noise so I can imagine how loud 16 can get! And with no fan control option on them we've got to think twice for certain events. Our B-eyes have left me most disappointed though, even in 'silent' mode the fans kick out a notable hum. I was tempted by the Robe 1000s as I know they will be damn near silent but the output and like you said - colour system of the quantum washes won us over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back