The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Mac Sound Design Application

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by mbenonis, Dec 30, 2005.

1. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Radio Engineer
    This was posted to the theatre-sound listserv yesterday.

I've been playing with QLab for a few hours, and it seems to be absolutely amazing. I'd like to encourage all of the Mac users who have been clamoring for a Mac version of SFX to give QLab a try and let Chris know what you think.

You can report bugs at: http://figure53.com/trac/

2. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

That makes me wish I had a mac even more!

3. TheAngryFedora

TheAngryFedora Member

The one thing that I can't figure out, despite it's simplicity (I assume it's simple and I'm just missing something) is how to load an audio file/song into the program. That would be very helpful... Aside from that, it looks awesome.

4. jonhirsh

jonhirsh Active Member

Toronto, Ontario and Valencia, California
    Just drag the file in like if it were itunes.

JH

5. TheAngryFedora

TheAngryFedora Member

Tried that. Didn't work. Does it have to be a WAV. file?

6. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Radio Engineer
    The newest release of QLab allows you to select audio files through an open dialog as well as dragging them in.

By the way, I could encourage everyone who is using QLab to join the list-serv. I believe there is information on how to join on the QLab website at http://www.figure53.com/.

7. ChrisAshworth

ChrisAshworth Member

Hi,

QLab does support multiple file formats (including AIFF, WAVE, and MP3), but not all instantiations of these formats will load successfully. If you are having trouble loading a particular file, try exporting it via iTunes or another sound program to one of the above formats.

With time I hope to fine-tune the audio file support, but for now I rely entirely on CoreAudio to automatically detect the file format and do the heavy lifting. CoreAudio is much younger than, say, Quicktime, which is much more likely to successfully open any file you throw at it.

I'll reiterate Mike's suggestion to join the mailing list for support questions; I do stop by this thread every once in awhile but I can be much more responsive to questions posted to the list.

Cheers,
    Chris