Mac Tw1

pjc

Hey,

So, has anybody played around with a MAC TW1, compared to the VL1000???

Any comments about lamp life, especially considering the recent posts on the 'short' Tungsten life in the VLs. We would like to buy six of something that moves moves, preferably with shutters (you know the theatre thing).

Thanks, PJC.

To the best of my knowledge, the MAC TW1 has no framing shutters. Yes, it has a blackout shutter, but not the theatrical shutters available on the VL1000 ERS. Also, the VL1000 ERS has the capability to project gobos and have a hard, defined edge, while the TW1 is basically a moving head, CMY mixing fresnel.

I had a really good chance to play arond with a Mac TW1, but unfortunatley, haven't seen the Vl1000, to compare it with.

However, from what I can remember (its been quite a while since I saw it) it was extremley quiet, mainly (I think) due to the way that as opposed to relying upon fans to do the majority of the cooling, it has a magnesium alloy heatsink. The lamp is relativley easy to replace, and can simply be removed through the end cap, which you can simply unscrew and then twist the lamp base 45 degrees.

There are several different modes in which it is possible to set the fixture, these can be set remotely from the desk, allowing the fixture to have its fans running louder during noisey pieces in plays or intervals, and then quieter during other parts of the play. The CMY system, seemed to work well; again via the desk, it is possible to either set the colours to change via the most asthetic route or via the fastest one.

The other thing that sticks in my mind after seeing the TW1, is that the beam angle on it, is quite wide, even zoomed all the way out, when it is zoomed in, especially with the extra wide lens attachment it literally washes everything, and unless you have a reasonably big space, this could well include the lighting grid and everything else.

On the whole I was quite impressed with the TW1, especially in the way that it was able to literally bounce back from anything you did to it. Sorry that I'm not able to compare it to the VL.

Diarmuid

Yes the VL1000 is very quiet. In fact is just about the only fixture I can leave on during a classical even and not get complaints. (about fan noise)
It does have fans in it, but they only normally cut in when you are using the framing shutters.

Good points:
Its tugsten, so its the right CT
Its a Vari-Lite...... :grin:
So no failures in 18 months (apart from the one the dealer keeps failing to come fix... but youre not in scotland, so ignore that)
The optics are exellent, colours are really good and saturated.
Stupidly wide zoom, out to 70 degrees no less.
Really nice frost, that does as good a job as most wash lights.
Its got a colour slot on the front....so you can fit gel or top hats etc!

Bad points:
Its tungsten :( Personal thing, but I would rather have the 575MSD version and pop CTO in it, its lots brighter!
It can be very noisy when going at full speed, but that is very fast!
As can most of the things it does, but when slow its very quiet.
The Gobo rotation in inexplicably loud, but not that bad.
Its only got 5 gobos!
You can have shutters OR! an iris, not both :evil:

I would personally go for the iris version, unless you absoluely have to have shutters. Look at the Arc version, its much brighter and you can always slap some CTO in the front. And IIRC the exernal dimmer tungsten version is comparatively cheap.

TW1 will be brighter, especially with an 80v lamp. But its just a washlight. whereas the VL is a profile that does a good job of pretending its a washlight.

To the best of my knowledge, the MAC TW1 has no framing shutters.

Not available at the moment, but Martin does plan on releasing them. They will be mechanical. If you look at page 3 of the spec sheet, it lists barndoors and a bunch of other stuff and says "Contact Martin for Availability Details".

As far as the currently available TW1, I really like it. Quiet, and great color temp for tv. I believe Panic At the Disco has 48 of them on tour right now.

To the best of my knowledge, the MAC TW1 has no framing shutters. Yes, it has a blackout shutter, but not the theatrical shutters available on the VL1000 ERS. Also, the VL1000 ERS has the capability to project gobos and have a hard, defined edge, while the TW1 is basically a moving head, CMY mixing fresnel.

The demo room of the TW1 was one of the more popular places at LDI. It was really impressive. But Soundlight has it right, it is only a zoomable, moving head, CMY, fresnel. The VL1000 is a moving head color mixing ERS that has a limited number of cool tricks up its sleve. After the demo I said to the Martin rep... It is a nice instrument but it doesnt compete with the VL, Do you have plans for a profile version that would compete with the VL... The rep got a smile on his face and with a sort of half wink said that is typically the way we manufacture our products. I have the feeling if you wait 6 months we will have something else to talk about.

As for lamp life, from what I can find on the interent, the TW1 also only gets around 300 hours.

If Panic went out with that light (perhaps) it didn't go out with spare lamps from me at least as I do remember pulling that show's spare lamps. Is that tour still out?

I have no info on that series of lamp yet but below is at least from Martin, the specifications I gather about it. Largest of that type of lamp base I have notes on is a P-46s and it's a automobile headlight I believe.

Lamp type:
1200w Phillips "Fast Fit" Halogen lamp, 300hr, 3,200K w. internal ceramic quick twist PGJX-50 lamp base; 1.2Kw/80v, 13,600Lum; 1.2Kw/115v, 10,900Lum; 1.2Kw/230v, 8,900Lum; 1.2Kw/240v, 8,900Lum.

Overall impression of this lamp based upon the above specs: It's not very bright... Most 1.2Kw/120-240v lamps are up in the 27,600 to 36,000 lumen range. 1.2Kw/80v lamps get up to 37,500 Lumens. I think the above Martin info on the lamp is output from the fixture luminous output after efficiency of the fixture/reflector/lens losses. The actual lamp output I suspect would be in the 38,000 Lumen range for the 80v and drop down from there some for each voltage range. My guess, it should be a decent lamp. One will note that there is a 240v long life lamp for the Euro fixture but not persay a 120v lamp for the equivolent long life lamp.

Seems like (my guess) the 80v lamp could be also be in a ETC "Dimmer Duplexing" system if not using the fixture's internal dimmer. Use of the 115v/230-240v lamps would also be used with the "External dimmer input" or by way of the Multi-Voltage internal IGBT dimmer. This if not using the 80v standard internal dimmer. You have the option if I read right to either use the internal dimmer or a external one but you need a second line voltage non-dim power supply to do this option. I would recommend that if you are doing a seperate feed for line verses dimmer power you mark the two cables well and use different types of plug. Say twist or stage for the dimmer plug and Edison for the line voltage.

Last edited:
Panic! At The Disco did not have TW1's on their fall 2006 tour. They had VL 3000's, VL 2500's, MAC 700's, Studio Commands, and Big Lites.

Panic! At The Disco did not have TW1's on their fall 2006 tour. They had VL 3000's, VL 2500's, MAC 700's, Studio Commands, and Big Lites.

You are probably correct. One of the places I contract with has a bunch and some of them (tw1) went out about the same time as Panic.

Don't ever get old. Details start to get foggy. I think the S Commands on that tour were the 1200 version. At least I can still remember what side my toast is buttered on.

Anyway, the TW1 is a cool light because of the color temp, if nothing else. They remind me of R2D2.

I have no experience with the TW1. The VL1000 however, is a great theatrical fixture. It's quiet and smooth. However, it's fairly slow moving pan/tilt wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back