Mac vs. PC

Spader

Is there anything lighting-specific that would make a Mac more useful than a PC, or a PC more useful than a Mac? Is there anything that I would need to do in college and in my career afterward that cannot be done on a PC or on a Mac? It doesn't seem that way to me, as Lightwright and Vectorworks run on both Macs and PCs, but then again, I haven't been around for that long and I don't really know about this.

In my experience, there are lots of standard applications that are cross platform. However, stability and resource efficiency should be your primary concerns if you plan to use the machine for live performances.

QLab is a powerful piece of live performance software that is Mac only. It allows you to have sound effects, video and MIDI commands in a cue list that operates much like a computerized lighting console.

The real question is what do you intend to do (For example, AutoCAD and WYSIWYG only run on a windows OS, wheras Qlab only runs on a Mac), and what you are more comfortable with. I run a mac because thats what I have always used, so I am much more comfortable with the OS. One plus for an Apple product would be that you can dual boot it with windows and OSX on the same machine, which might be more useful to you. I currently have my MacBook running OSX 10.5.8 and Windows XP with whatever the latest SP was. As soon as I can afford it, I am going to ditch that partition and get myself a ThinkPad or HP or something that makes sense, to use WYG on. If you intend to do a lot of 3D work and not go to tons of gigs with the computer, your probably best off getting a desktop of some sort, because you can toss a TON more power under the hood, and you will want some hard core graphics capabilities. However, once you do this, you wont have the option of going to the gig and using the computer for stuff while there. Decide what you need to do, and then figure out your price range, and then figure out what fits best. Also, if your going to a lot of gigs with your machine, youll want to maybe double backup the entire system (one in the gig bag, one at home, maybe one online) and get a less-expensive machine because the chance of it getting damaged is fairly high.

Autodesk's AutoCAD is not Mac native, but if you plan on using Vectorworks then maybe you don't care. There are also some smaller CAD programs that are only one or the other. Q-Lab is another really standard piece of software that can be crucial, and as stated before, is Mac-only. If you are really going to base your decision on which platform to use on the software you will need in your career, then I would have to say go Mac. With all the Macs being built with Intel chips these days, you can run anything on them with Parallels. However, there isn't any chance of running a Mac-only software on a PC (without recompiling of course). That being said, I don't base my decision on that--I am a PC guy. :twisted:

-Tim

EDIT: Shiben posted while I was typing :(

What year of high school are you in, how long do you plan on keeping the computer, do you want the option to occasionally use theatre related software, or do you plan on using theatre related software quite frequently, and if so, what type of software (sound/lighting/projection/scenic/management/etc)?

Both platforms will run almost all the same software, with a few exceptions (QLab, SFX, Autodesk, WYG, Medialon). On a Mac, you can always install any version of Windows and run the other programs.

However, if you don't think you'll need them, it doesn't matter. Get the computer that works best for you. If you are more comfortable with the Windows workflow, get a nice Lenovo machine. I'm more comfortable with OS X, so I can tell you all about it, but there are also long term PC users who would be lost on my computer.

Your computer purchase is very personal, so get the one that you really like, and works best for you. Everything will run the essentials or something similar.

(I have two of each, so I try to remain impartial.) Best advice I've ever heard on this topic, "Get whichever most of your friends have." If/when you need help, who are you going to call?

If you buy a mac, you can run windows and OsX applications. If you by a Windows only machine, you can only run windows programs.

If you buy a mac, you may be paying a bit more ( especially if all you need is a low end machine).

Take a look at the programs you expect to use. If any of them are better on OSX - buy a mac. If not you probably want to save your money and get a Windows box.

If you buy a mac, you can run windows and OsX applications. If you by a Windows only machine, you can only run windows programs.

This here is the best reason to buy windows. Granted I just despise Mac Os period.

(I have two of each, so I try to remain impartial.) Best advice I've ever heard on this topic, "Get whichever most of your friends have." If/when you need help, who are you going to call?

John McKernon told me that in 1998 I think. Best advice I have heard from anyone.

This here is the best reason to buy windows. Granted I just despise Mac Os period.

You have piqued my curiosity. As a retired software engineer, I find the Mac OS (which is really a version of Unix with a gui over it) far superior to Windows. (Although I do find CoCo a bit difficult as I have never really wrapped my head around objective C )

Can you elaborate what it is about the Mac OS that you do not like?

Please note, I am NOT trying to start any kind of flame war here. I am interested in understanding your position.

There are two aspects to this the hardware and the software.

In terms of hardware pcs are going to have the best bang for your buck.

In terms of software its a personal preference. Despite what many people say the mac os is not better for design, ie graphic/web design.
Choose the OS that you can use BEST, because when you are trying to troubleshoot something last minute and you aren't comfortable with the software you are screwed.

JChenault, your statement about windows pcs isn't 100% true, but I am not going to go into any more details on the matter.

My advice: get what you are comfortable working with, just make sure the hardware you get can drive the software. I myself at the moment prefer the PC (my primary workstation is a core i5-750, with an nvidia Geforce 9800gt and an Nvidia Quadro nvs 295 with 3 22" widescreen LCD monitors). Don't get me wrong, MACs have very similar and occasionally better hardware specifications. However, if you really are going to run autocad you really need to watch what graphics card you get. Getting one that is either barely supported by or not supported by autocad will cause a giant decrease in performance. The amount of memory in the machine also makes a difference. Four gigabytes should be sufficient for most basic tasks if you plan on having a lot of programs running at one time, however keep in mind that if you pass the 4gb mark in the windows world, you have to have a 64bit operating system to be able to access the rest of the ram (I have 6gb, some of which is used by the host operating system while the rest is used to power a virtual machine I run on the physical computer for WYSIWYG (at this point windows 7 64 bit and wysiwyg don't get along perfectly). If you have any questions about a PC/laptop, feel free to PM me, my primary job over the summer is a network administrator/computer repair technician.

i say get a mac because the hardware is a lot better inside them, so they will last a lot longer. the os will be different at first but it is super easy to figure out. what is the best part of having a mac is that you are not limited on what you can do. if something is windows only there are multiple way of running windows apps and os on a mac. if your wanting a laptop then i wouldn't get the 13in screen for cad. i would upgrade to a bigger one or get a monitor for it. i had a 13in macbook for 3 years then i had to sell it cause it wasn't cutting it, now i have a mac pro. which brings me to another point mac hold there value unlike pc computer. my macbook was 3 years old and i paid $1200 for it i sold it for $600. now im not saying that pc are all bad but if you dont know enough to build one yourself then they are not worth the money. i want to say that almost the the major pc companies like dell, Toshiba, and gateway put the worst hardware in there computers, unless you buy the high dollar ones but then you are at or almost at the price of a mac.

giovanni

I'm a bit split on this one. I agree with most people stating to get what you're comfortable with. In those cases where problems become mission critical being able to maneuver around your computer is paramount. However, I also feel, in this case, a mac is the safer bet since you can run the mac os as well as guest os's simultaneously. I have been doing this for years and have yet to find a piece of software I haven't been able to run. (I know they exist, so please don't send me a list of applications which are so hardware dependent they have to be on an actual windows box to run them) Additionally, there are many options for emulation software. VirtualBox is a great application and is a free alternative to Parallels. I have also found most laptops these days are more than capable of running the simultaneous OS with both remaining functional. Ultimately, I think it boils down to your ability to work within these parameters, which sometimes means thinking outside the box for how to get everything working the way you want. In case you didn't get it from my post - I am primarily a mac guy... though I rely on both everyday.

-My 2 Cents

-Kevin
Austin, TX IA205

My vote is to build your own PC. Don't know how? Learn! There are lots of books, magazines, and sources on the internet that can help you. Heck post here in the off topic forum and you'll find lots of support to get you through. You'll learn a lot in the process and save a lot of money. I purchased a new computer in 1989. I Paid $2000 for a 33mhz cpu, 2 mb of ram, and a 40 mb hard drive (yes those were both mb, not gb). I had a video card go out and my choice was to pay $50 to have someone install it or learn how to do it myself. I went to the computer parts store to learn more and a helpful employee explained how simple the process was. I started reading and have done all my own repairs since then. I've also never purchased a new computer since then, instead my computer is in a constant state of evolution. I typically spend about $200 per year upgrading one or two components (Last year was new Mobo and CPU, this year I'm going to add a Blu-Ray burner). Can't do that with a Mac. It's not the easy way but you'll learn a lot, save a lot of money, and have fun doing it.

With ONE exception. If you are going to be a sound guy you probably want a Mac for Qlab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back