MAC101 Light Show: Soundlight's Latest Monster

soundlight

So it's been a while since I last posted one of these done by me. It's Soundlight Light Show time! I'm not nearly as happy with this one as I could have been - a lot of the programming was rushed. However, it is what it is, and it is pretty awesome given the programming constraints. Plus, it was a funny picture to be programming on a Grand MA Light on my coffee table in the living room/workshop/den/noteatingorsleeping room of my apartment the night before we had our Martin demo day. You can see in the video that I planned for the fixtures to move faster. They do move fast, but the rendering engine in my head (it's better than WYSIWYG or ESP or MA3D or MSD or any of them) moves a bit faster than the MAC101s move. So, here it is! Feel free to give creative criticism, I welcome it every time. You should definitely go to the actual youtube page and watch it in the larger video view, it looks better in 480 or 720.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Show was set up in a demo room of the warehouse where I work (part of the warehouse closed off by soft goods). I used (4) 12" truss verticals with 125# bases; the verticals were 11' tall: 10' stick plus cornerblock. There are 6' pipes between them and 2' pipes attached to them to hold the MAC101s and some of the MAC700s. It was quite a fun rig to design; I set out to design something that I hadn't seen on youtube yet with MAC101s since there were already videos out there from the Martin tradeshows and from a couple venues and tours that were early adopters of these awesome fixtures. So, I came up with this rig, and added 11 MAC700s to the mix. The MAC700s are not featured though, as the main point of this show was to show off the MAC101s.

The timing for the show was done by using the MA's timecode learn functionality and using the MIDI timecode track out of a computer playing the audio file in a program that also spits out MIDI (can't remember which program, it was on one of the audio dept's production laptops). So once completed all I had to do was hit the spacebar on the computer and the whole show fired. Quite useful.

This show was done when I suggested to my current fulltime employer that I make a demo show with our 48 brand new MAC101s to put up on the company's youtube page as well as mine. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out who the employer is - it's pretty obvious - but remember that I do not speak for my employer on this forum, I speak for myself. Anyways, enjoy the show!

You will notice the post date is June 15th - I've been trying to write up a good thread about this show forever now, but after a very busy summer, a refreshing bit of social life and finally getting sick this week (I was gonna write up a thread on Tuesday if it weren't for that), I just decided to put it up now since I think I've waited too long already.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty awesome. I'd give constructive criticism, but I'm an audio guy and lights are alien to me

Awesome. Things like that make me miss college. A lot.

I need to make an appointment to go down to the Vari-Lite factory and play.

That was really cool. Wish I had the skills to program something like that... If you dont mind a bit of criticism, and this is from one ignorant of the goals other than feature the moving heads, the chorus felt a bit chaotic to me, the green and purple was cool the first time but the rest of the times I just felt like I was a bit lost... However, thats the only issue I had, and it made me want to learn how to program stuff like that. Way above my level... Nice work!

If I'd had time to really cue things out the only real movement chases would have been the solo and bridge - and those would have had transitions in them. I also would have used the MAC700s a lot more. However, for what it was, I did what cues I could given time constraints and got everything locked in to the timecode. I would have loved to really cue it out but I just didn't have the time.

You should have seen my original cuesheet and my final cuesheet - the final one had a lot fewer cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back