Macy's Parade -- live or Memorex?

jkowtko

Just curious --

I've always assumed that the feature singers during the parade were lipsinking. However the way the compression and audio processing technology has improved over the past several years I'm wondering if any of these performers (at least the vocalists with handheld mics) are live?

Or do they run live with music tracks on the streets, and overdub for TV?

A couple of the performers I saw had what appeared to be fake mics, but a lot of them were real. Some may have been singing live for the crowd on the street, but none of it was live on tv.

From what I understand, and I have been told this for many years now, none of the performers are every live. Because of the strenuous conditions of the parade (arriving at 5am, the ridiculous cold, the crowds, the movement, etc.) the performers are never live, due to parade stipulations.

However, that could all be talk =/

Keep in mind I was watching in the bedroom with a TV that has been dragged across the country in a few different trucks and the sound sucks....

But...

If it was live, it was WAY to clean.

If it was canned (which I think it was) it was canned poorly and way to compressed.

Whatever happened to just watching floats go by and watching balloon crews try to keep their balloons on the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back