made my own lighting board from scratch

we used 12 gague wire in the box. The edison sockets were built into the box, and the plugs ran right into it.

We used 10 gauge wire as our "power" wire the line we used to plug the box into the wall.

We had 8 channels, 6 of which had 300 watts on it...1 had 550...and 1 had 150.

If i remember correctly 12 gague holds roughly 22-23 amps(correct me on this) so each wire run was covered within the safety margins(by alot) of the wire.

And the 10 gauge "power" line if i remember was 30ish so we had to be well udner that as it was a total 20 amp circuit.

As you said it wasnt the right way...but it was what we had to do in this situation.

We tried to make it as safe as possible

Ah' that's reasonable in change of venue. On the other hand, the host company even in being too lazy to allow for flexibility should have allowed their repretory lighting plot either as standard to be re-focused given the availability of labor after the production, or if not re-focused, tasked and cued, at least re-gelled as long as the focus is not changed. Can't imagine other than in time constraints how such a option would not be acceptable given a technically balanced contest verses that just centered around the talent and not much intended for also seeing the other aspects of it.

Was set/lighting graded and really graded, or was it more centered around the talent? It's good that at least they got the production up an running, but given the problems you found with change of venu, further consideration for what's at a minimum permissible might later be discussed by the governing board of the contest. It's as you say one thing to be nice enough to host the show at the last minute, another to not allow even minimum changes to it's lighting system given nobody leaves until the production focus plot s restored.

Anyway, don't get me wrong in getting the job done that it might have if properly done a good learning thing. The intent was to more show that such a light board even if it functioned was kind of silly in it's necessity given the change of venu and lack of flexibility there given you were ready to go with some computer board.

It should start within the members of the contest a re-working of the alternate rules necessary for change of venu in what is acceptable to go with or change as opposed to something that really was while possibly well done, still not the correct thing to be doing. Rental by the contest of a board and dimmers will have amongst many other solutions been a much better idea.

Your school staff should talk about what problems you had with the contest staff at this point to solve these because what was allowed by you to use both compromized what you intended, and was not safe to allow. Given the choice of approving of something that could burn down the building verses what might pose a hardship on other theaters not as well equipped, I will have chosen safety as those less equipped might have had better equipment than you than in now having the advantage you once had. Given this case, their making it fair did not result in this either. No reason to require such a control system thus.

rapscaLLion said:
but then theatre is inherently not safe.

NO.
NO.
NO.
And, did I mention, NO!

If this is your attitude, please, don't ever come anywhere remotely near any venue I'm working in.

Theatre, done properly, is extremely safe. If it's not, you're doing something wrong, probably illegal, and just plain out stupid, and I don't want to be anywhere where I could (at worst) be hurt by you, or (at best) find myself as an additional party to the barrage of lawsuits that result when you hurt somebody else.

I completely agree with that,people who have no regard for doing things properly and safely have no place in any of my venues!!!!

once again, we did it as safe as we possibly could given the situation and time crunch we were under

Andy_Leviss said:
rapscaLLion said:
but then theatre is inherently not safe.

NO.
NO.
NO.
And, did I mention, NO!

If this is your attitude, please, don't ever come anywhere remotely near any venue I'm working in.

Theatre, done properly, is extremely safe. If it's not, you're doing something wrong, probably illegal, and just plain out stupid, and I don't want to be anywhere where I could (at worst) be hurt by you, or (at best) find myself as an additional party to the barrage of lawsuits that result when you hurt somebody else.

Give some credit to rapscaLLion. Theater as a general statement is very much true to be inherently not safe, and this project controller was unsafe even if well done and as as safe as much possible in some major ways beyond function. Still in even those constructing it realizing that it was not the optimum solution - or why will it have been posted about. Still it did function well for them and was a job well done in getting the show up and running. rapscaLLion's quote was more a statement amongst these lines at times in it would seem agreeing with your point but also realizing that at times you do stuff that will function even if stupid as long as as safe as possible in construction and method, and in general citing that theater in general is not safe.

This no matter if it's a question of the in-experienced at flying in a bottom of scrim pipe weighted scrim during a scene that watches the line instead of the stage than hits an actor standing below the scrim, or to the extent of having those that really don't know better than allowing as safe a plywood box construction as the best suitable lighting controller for the contest given computer light boards would it seems throw the advantage to those that can afford such things. I expect that those approving of the light board did not even open it up in approvign of it - given it could have been really scarry for all they knew.

Get my point here? Theater is unsafe be it from some stage pin plug that does not have a strain relief or ferrules under the terminal due of course to the fact that those doing the show were pushed for time in getting something done and did not realize or care for the extra nuances of doing things properly in necessity, to that tech person that with long hair does not tie it back and gets the hair caught in the chuck of the drill. Theater in ever so many ways is unsafe from people falling into the pit since pit nets are rare, to in general that learning curve of those doing the thing, but not doing it properly yet doing so also.

Want fear in saying don't come near where I work? Imagine my extent of fear about all posters that do everything correctly - at least to the best of their knowledge. Long posts often on my part as a coverall even don't cover for my own fears in people getting killed either on their own or by way of mis-understanding my advice even.

Electrically, I'm one of two Master Electricians at one of the probably top five or ten multi-million dollar lighting companies in the industry. Neither of us ME's know it all, but we do have some interesting debates and consultations between us. Alone, no I don't consider myself as knowing all or perfect in being safe. Just sent out on a major tour a fixture with a cracked lamp base. I tested and theorized that it was for the most part safe to use unless it cracked further. Plus instructed the crew chief to examine it and all lamp bases before each show given specific design flaws in the lighting fixture, but was it perfectly safe to be doing - that which gets the fixture out the door? Nope, on a 2Kw lighting fixture. This crew chief I trust will look at what he was instructed to look at but probably will not.

Even given my own limited or extensive knowledge about some things, and otherwise recognition that I'm not perfect, just had a show in Mexico which had a adaptor that if I did not build, I was supervising a crew in building. This adaptor had a hot ground mis-wire and I did not pre-test the adaptors. It went up in smoke during the show in taking some gear with it. Just so happens that it was attached to the light board and given a UPS system, it would than not shut off.

Even I screw up in perhaps being one of the more trusted people and knowing what I'm doing but at times not even testing my or the work done I supervise. Were it up to me and had I time or not been so lazy in getting it done but not personally ensured it worked I would than ban all other gear worked on by others. As reality, I don't have time nor ability to ensure all other tech people in the shop much less on site are either supervised by me or have at least proper training in what they are doing. Wish I could be the only one wiring up these 250 new LED fixtures we just got in, but it's absolutely not within my time constraints.

Is it safe for me to not even supervise given I'm really busy on other projects? Much less I don't even trust the college graduates ability to wire a Leko for a replacement whip. Would much rather personally do so iyet my time available to do the simple much less supervision is very limited. Hopefully they are trained, or the department for Lekos supervisor is adiquately supervising in my place - not that I even trust her.

Get the point here? Even at a Multi-Million dollar company, neiter can I above training to the extent possible and supervision or in having enough time to do all the work myself but at times screwing up myself or not knowing it all is my efforts perfect. It's instead as safe as I can make it or hope to have the ability to ensure. Have a hung follow spot bridge for this tour I'm buying equipment for. No time to ensure those parts I buy are used correctly. Has this say 10' by 16' section of platformed truss that three +$1,200.oo each Lycian 1290 follow spots that weigh about #200 each without stand on it and the entire assembly with people is flown by four chain hoists. To ensure the spots can't move, I specified some Rosco brand D-Ring on Plate assemblies that by way of my recommendation were thru-bolted as if soft flat in installation onto the 3/4" Plywood scaff platform sections. Such was done but I did not have a chance to look at how well done. In attaching such plates it's at times not the number of bullet holes thru the plywood as that ability of the plywood to deal with a number of holes close together that might instead require some thru-bolted holes and others just screwed down. This given the plywood was not thought of by those doing it to be sandwiched between a secondary piece of metal plate. Can't really vouch for any of the construction on this thing be it how the platform in preventing should the hoists make the platform at an angle come loose, much less the Home Depot hook type ratchet strap quality in holding down the stands should the platform tip. This with electrics is stuff I know to some extent but even here am far too busy to ensure or at least observe for what I might find unsafe to the extent helpful in making it safe. Saw a curious piece of lumber in the construction, but did not even beyond trust of the crew chief, have time to look at it's installation more than just finding it curious while walking by. In a very serious way, I have to trust someone else knows what he is doing, yet it's a given this person does know what he is doing both in inspection the same as me for those that don't and in general for his own abilities.

This is a professional shop and when informed about a project at very least I give at least similar explinations if not in person demonstrations in detail similar to those presented here. On the 250 new LED wash lights we got in, they need safety cables in rigging them. Didn't get into ensuring all mounting for the bracket screws are tight if not even thread lockered given it's architectural units and not as rugged, nor equipment I would like to be seeing used. Still when the question of how to safety cable them was put in my lap, I showed how best to do it. This was a loop of 1/8" wire rope thru a drill hole in the bracket. Simple enough, and I can live with the larger loops those doing so decided upon their own to start doing without asking permission to do. In walking by the project later, I noted in looking at everything in my area as I do my walk by's that on this 1/8" Nicopress sleeve that only two of the three crimps necessary for a crimped oval sleeve was done to a fixture. I stopped and raised hell as it were. Those currently working on the project were it would seem not those that started and did this safety hazzard. Much less stupid thing shown. Those doing the project currently would correct the problem and follow thru in a proper crimp - given I ensusure almost monthly the crimp tool they use is within safe clamping pressure by way of go/no-go gauge. They would also ensure this idiot that cut corners was informed of his mistake as well as me being pissed now would remember him. A question of if he saw something done in such a way why he would cut corners in doing it differently might be of question here also, but given he was not qualified to be doing this and nobody else in supervising his work was supervising him, there would be a whole lot of people fired where it being qualified to work here a question. Much less in that there is no certification beyond personal study and past experience in proper training I have over anyone else thus what's their own problem in doing stuff right? More a question of immediacy to learn and paying attention I would expect im most cases of those that will some day be a gas station attendant as opposed to those that can retire in the theater.

Still we sent out it would seem 16 of these fixtures with safety cables clipped to them that only had two crimps for an un-explained reason on a show. Beyond being pissed in general, and considering the difficulty of finding these now 16 out of 250 fixtures that don't have a safe crimp to them - or even finding time to search for them, the two crimps to a 1/8" sleeve is for the most part safe enough for a less than 5# fixture. I do need to find time to track down which show such equipment went out on and contact the crew chief for it to either have them add another crimp to the safety cable or mark the fixtures to see me after the show. This is necessary but very also difficult to follow thru on given a extreme work load. I will be lucky short of E-Mail reminder once the day starts to remember that we are running short of 1/4-20 Nylock nuts and I need to buy more much less the safety cable issue.

Given this, I can't say I'm 100% safe, nor given even pro company what those other than me do is safe. Knowing better is a major quetion in being safe also. This person crimping safety cables it would be assumed did not know better. He did the safe thing, but as with all you had better not come to my theater with such a unsafe attitude, it might be expressed no matter where, such intent in doing proper but not being perfect in being safe verses what is absolute in unsafe by intent of just doing stuff to get it done. This person above in doing safety cables no doubt used the crimp tool properly though I did not go/no-go gauge the crimps in my own lack of thought about it for a supervisior, simply for some un-known reason he just made two crimps in the wire rope. Even the 20 or more year experience shop manager does not know NEC rules or at times what's safe to be doing others cannot correct him on. Much less in not being perfect or the other ME also so, we both help each other and watch out much less seek the advice of each other.

Don't become complacient in being a perfect theater tech person, nor in only doing what's safe. What you don't psysically inspect, instruct, and supervise on than will be your failing - this given even the perfect tech person knows better or all ways that will injure or be unsafe. Much less you can't ensure every component or aspect of what happens. This is reality. Yes, always or to what extent possible, make it as safe as possible. If there is a pipe that sticks out, mark it in white gaff tape so someone does not walk into it. Even this than would only be due consideration as opposed to an absolute of safety.

So in reality, theater or tech is very unsafe. This is a confirmed statement and accurate. Some question of making it as safe as possible will alter the extent of this, but it's still a question of many things factoring in. Those that become complacient and too sure of their being safe on the other hand are much more dangerous than those that recognize that theater is a dangerous place as a blanket statement and given this do their best, and further hope and strive for others to also do so. It's not a safe place. Our shop General Manager was the one that found the hot/ground reverse and UPS system. It does not in the end matter if it was I who wired the plug in at times I can simply put wires into holes and make a mistake, or if it was from someone else. In making something like 60 adaptors for this show, It was my screw up in not testing each adaptor - no matter how late into the night and how un-trained the crew making the adaptors. That the gear went out without testing means something to that person that gives me my raises in balance with what gear might get destroyed by my lack of follow thru.

Hope it helps. Intent is to be safe but the reality of it is theater is not safe and we stand between what without supervision will injure or kill or what when watched and done as best possible will work, verses some willy nilly attempt at throwing something together that should be blocked but often is not either seen or realized to be so. One would not believe the amount of pro gear that comes back from shows which is not ours. Such pro gear be it from architectural dimmer in a 1900 box with it's knockout slugs punched in or even missing, and wire nuts inside falling off that I see are amost common. Lots of ways to do this more same and I would bet what's general discussion on this topic was much more safe. Still the concept is a necessity that was accomplished in the best way possible and with intent. Best option for doing so, certainly not we all probably stand for. Still necessary and if well done will serve doing so? That's a question those approving of the gear and supervision it's construction can only answer given their own qualifications to be doing so.

This goal of being completely safe or wavering what is not specifically so but is safe for what is practical, in training or supervising those are paid to ensure is well worth it. There is still some factor in being perfect and doing the reality of it that is inperfect and even than unsafe. How many people have been shocked by spinning the lamp in a UL-Listed PAR 64 fixture?

Today I repaired a 2/0 feeder cable that for some reason was de-loomed on site. Some very major even inner conductor cutting de-looming action going on there with the knife blade not only cutting the outer jacket but in one instance cutting conductors. Yet did this professional that is expected to be a professional even mark where they very dangerously and seriously screwed up in even marking where they as un-skilled labor cut the cable jacket? Nope, some high school drop out without any real training luckily noted it for him a few weeks after the deed was done before he did his job of re-looming as a more simple part of his job description and qualification. Such are common repair needs found by me. In not going on a soap box, nobody you or I is perfect in what we ensure to be safe, or even that we allow when at times the best way of doing something yet not pattently safe.

This business is unsafe. WE strive to make it safe in all ways possible and depend that others will do so also, but at some point as a blanket statement given how much is going on at once, and how many things can go wrong the statement that theater is unsafe is accurate in general. As safe as possible would be more accurate but flexible where absolutely necessary.

The big thing that set me off was the, "but" at the start of it, which suggested a cavalierness that really scares me.

Even so, however, theatre is not inherently unsafe. It is the people who make it safe (or unsafe). Theatre, done properly, is safe. The fact that a large number of people in this industry are lazy, mis- or under-informed, or otherwise contribute to making things be done in an unsafe fashion so often doesn't change that.

It would be more accurate to say that theatre is potentially dangerous. With proper working conditions and appropriate attention paid to the work being done, that danger can be minimized, which results in a relatively safe environment.

I'm on an arena tour right now, and at every load-out I have two or more up-riggers high above me in the steel de-rigging all sorts of gear. Is that dangerous? Sure can be. Is it unsafe? No, because the guys above me know what they're doing, and take the utmost precaution to make sure that they do everything as safely as humanly possible.

It may seem like nit-picking, but in reality, it's a difference in attitude that means a lot when you're working in such a potentially dangerous environment.

Sorry I had not notiece the "but" rational for my defending his inheriently unsafe and wondering why you would call him out for something that's more or less a general stagement I have seen used before. Think we are all in agreement the term "potentially unsafe" being a much better one.

If it's any help I'm also in complete agreement with you, plus I did remember to contact the crew chief on the show having the badly crimped safety rings. On the other hand, while there is a necessary trust, there is also a certain amount of less skilled labor out there.

About the board...I admire you creativeness. However, I honestly think you got ripped at $475 for what you had. I could have built a better one at that price. Ship may remember this, but our board at our school is home-made. I doubt if it's NEC compliant, but the fire marshall has not said anything. Although you guys may think the board is unsafe, if I inspected the wiring myself and made sure it was done right I would use it any day. Our board is a steel frame with a sheet metal skin and industrial wall type dimmers. But before you get on my back about it, they're not your regular consumer-grade dimmers. They're disigned for higher loads. I doubt if they were designed for our board as an application, but it works. Also, each of our dimmers has a 10 amp fuse on it and a 20 amp breaker for each light bar. Then the board is wired directly to the breaker box, none of that edison crap. :)

However, these are my concerns though. You should have made the box out of sheet metal rather than wood. At least the "skin" to the board should be sheet metal or something to the equivelant. I can see a board with a wooden frame and sheet metal skin working out just fine. I'm also hoping you just didn't go and plug into a regular 120 volt wall outlet. If you did, there may not be any reason for you to have a 10 gauge cord to your board because the wiring in the wall/conduit might not even be that heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back