MagicQ PC: Can I have a keystroke play a specific cue in a cue stack?

wturner

I notice many MagicQ fans on here, so here's a question for you. I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere, or has been answered before...but I've searched and not found an answer yet, so thought I'd give you guys a try. We're using MagicQ PC to run a very small setup (18 DMX channels of basic cans--no movers) for a church drama application. Suppose I have a list of scenes set up as a cue stack. I'd love MIDI control, but can't see $1800 just to have this feature when we have such a simple setup, so currently I have Bourne's MIDI Translator set to intercept an incoming MIDI "go" command and turn that into a keypress of the letter 'Q', which of course will play the next cue on the cue stack of playback 1. So here's the question: Does anyone know of a keystroke/combination that will "jump" to a selected cue in the cue stack? All I can come up with is a basic GO/Play Next Cue command, but it would be nice (like during rehearsals) to be able to send a MIDI command that I could map to "Play Cue 4" instead of just hoping cue 4 happened to be next. Is this possible?

No replies...so apparently no one else knows either. But with 60 viewings, it's also apparent a few others are curious...so I'll share what I found out. I found an address to email Chamsys support with my question, and (kudos to them!) they actually answered. Unfortunately, the response was that it is not possible. Clearly they have figured out that if they allowed that then anyone with a little knowledge and a MIDI-to-keystroke mapper could pretty much completely bypass their $1800 interface box. Not that I blame them...

No replies...so apparently no one else knows either. But with 60 viewings, it's also apparent a few others are curious...so I'll share what I found out. I found an address to email Chamsys support with my question, and (kudos to them!) they actually answered. Unfortunately, the response was that it is not possible. Clearly they have figured out that if they allowed that then anyone with a little knowledge and a MIDI-to-keystroke mapper could pretty much completely bypass their $1800 interface box. Not that I blame them...

hi.. same use of Bome's midi translator here :)
to program, i use X-padder to plug my wireless microsoft pad (this software translate joystick input into keystroke) .. make lije a lot easier !

i don't have found any solution for jumping directly to selected cue... so if you found one i will be happy to know.

I have also the issue of focusing screen to pass keystroke.. as i use MagicQ with ableton live in show , i have to stay on magicQ to make my keystroke working.. i am looking for a way to pass selected keystroke to the magic Q windows only (and put the windows in the background).

if someone as a clue...

thx

I have never worked with MagicQ, but since it is a computer based control software it is designed to be navigated by keyboard right? So if you were sitting at the computer what would you press to skip to a cue? Then just program that into your interface.

I have never worked with MagicQ, but since it is a computer based control software it is designed to be navigated by keyboard right? So if you were sitting at the computer what would you press to skip to a cue? Then just program that into your interface.

Alex is correct. On the MQ100 Pro the button presses once you are in a cue stack would be GOTO CUE [cue number] ENTER. There is a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to any standard key so you should be able to do this and then assign a MIDI command to execute the series of keystrokes you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back