Making a lift

I am doing a show this August where it would be amazing to have a lift to lift an actor straight up. But lifts of any kind I can find are WAY over our budget for the entire show. Is there any way to make a lift, automated preferably but manual of some sort would be fine the actors (one at a time) weigh 56 - 85 lbs. Any ideas or thought would be amazing.

I am doing a show this August where it would be amazing to have a lift to lift an actor straight up. But lifts of any kind I can find are WAY over our budget for the entire show. Is there any way to make a lift, automated preferably but manual of some sort would be fine the actors (one at a time) weigh 56 - 85 lbs. Any ideas or thought would be amazing.
Hello!
When you write lift, what are you seeing in your mind?
If you're thinking raising a child a foot or less, some of us here MAY pass along a few thoughts. If you're intending to raise a human being a few feet or more, I suspect most of us will sensibly advise against using anything McGiver'd together.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Hello!
When you write lift, what are you seeing in your mind?
If you're thinking raising a child a foot or less, some of us here MAY pass along a few thoughts. If you're intending to raise a human being a few feet or more, I suspect most of us will sensibly advise against using anything McGiver'd together.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I was thinking 2 feet max. We will have low lying fog so just to give the illusion she is above the clouds/everyone else and see her rising.

I agree with Bill. Using a level cleverly blacked out would be my route on a budget. You could also hide your fog generator within it, in order to place the source of your low lying fog directly at the actor's feet.

Thank you all I will research the options we have you have given me some ideas. Do you think a 2x4 would be strong enough to lift 58 lbs.? thinking about making the 2x4 the lever and having it push up a platform that she stands on.

Thank you all I will research the options we have you have given me some ideas. Do you think a 2x4 would be strong enough to lift 58 lbs.? thinking about making the 2x4 the lever and having it push up a platform that she stands on.
58 pound kid +whatever said platform weighs. I'd want something beefier

Instinctively something stiffer for the length needed. In 2by, start with at least an inch of depth for each foot of length from the fulcrum. You might beat that if you can do some simple engineering.

You still need to solve the stability issues for the performer. I'd like a rail or post to hold onto if possible. Lots of things to be figured out but hard to beat simple machines.

One inch of depth for each foot of length is a very good rule of thumb (especially for wood construction). With a bit of engineering you might beat it a little, but not much unless noticeable flexing of a relatively long bending member is acceptable.

Consider 1 5/8 unistrut as a lever and a frame. It can be welded or bolted.
Maybe use an small ATV lift. ($95.00) Use the hydraulic foot pump or put in a lever. This one even has a safety catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back