Making a Sound Bible

Briguy90

I have been working in sound for a while and heard the term "Sound Bible" but I am not really sure what needs to go in a sound bible or how to make one. Any advice on the format and the content will be helpful. My idea of this is just a combination of all the paperwork and such but I want to know what other people do to keep this organized and what needs to be included.

I have been working in sound for a while and heard the term "Sound Bible" but I am not really sure what needs to go in a sound bible or how to make one. Any advice on the format and the content will be helpful. My idea of this is just a combination of all the paperwork and such but I want to know what other people do to keep this organized and what needs to be included.
The term "Sound Bible" has been used to describe The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Davis and Jones has been refered to as that. Despite its age (published 1988) it is still a standard if not the standard for the fundamentals of sound systems.

A full bible for big professional shows is usually created by the production audio person and handed over to the run crew once a show opens. The bible is intended to be handed over to anyone who has questions about the audio system. I build mine with several sections encompassing first - cast/crew names and numbers a. Power Up/Down and Show Preset/Post Show procedures b. Rack Drawings c. System Schematics d. Shop Orders (from the rental shop) e. Purchase Orders from Vendors f. A copy of the final show mixing script g. All A2 paperwork (mic placements/accessories/paint notes, microphone track sheets) g. Microphone Maintenance/Swaps.

This is super important in a long running show or a seasonal show that you do the same every year for a while. I do both, and when I have an understudy walk on for a single night who was on the show 5 years prior, I am able to consult what they got back then to have it ready when they walk in the door. Plus, having the contact names and info for every person who was on the audio crew over a long span makes it super valuable when things break and you need help and are the new guy!

It may include things like a a bands stage plot, input list, patching, mic, DI, and stand requirements. Essentially, one audio guy can get sick, hand off the bible to a new guy on his way to the hospital, and the show will still go on, because all of the necessary information is in the bible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back