Making Fire

Im sure this is a quick and easy question. What type of material do you typically use to make the fake fire effect? Where you take the sheet and blow it with a fan. I didnt know if its silk or what. Usually I would use a flame effect, but this project is for a thearte.

Extremely light weight silk. usually stonewashed and dyed in a gradient manner. < for the expensive super realistic effect > or just a buch or red silk with a light and a fan shinning on it. You can use a PC cooling fan and a "little-Lite" bulb for a very small , torchiere, effect and it can then be run off batteries or a D.C. Power supply. I'm a big fan of using low power solutions for stage effects as it tends to make life safer for all concerned.

Good luck! Have fun !
If it's not fun, on some level, why do it ?

If you do have some money to burn you could go with LeFlame. If you are going to have very little lighting on stage what Van said will work just fine, but if you are going to be throwing some lights onstage you might wash out your effect.

Oh a BIG flame effect. Ok start with 5 gallons of jet fuel add some amonium-nitrate add diesel.

Never mind Like I said earlier a stone washed silk with a gradation dye job stick a some sort of broad light under it. try to use a fan that that doesn't "swirl" the air too much if it becomes a problem you can construct a venturi tube with baffles in the end to " straighten out" the air. make sure that when the silks collapse they don't come into contact with the lighting fixture as it will start to stink to high heaven. For safties sake I would be sure to "Flamex" or fireproof your silk. < Ironic huh ? You have to flameproof your flames.>

We have these in our shop and put them in our office windows every halloween.
proxy.php

They are very realistic and also bright having 6 amber and 4 blue halogen lamps in the base.

Specifications:
Dimensions: 39.5" x 14.5" x 9.8"
Lamp: (10) 12v, 20w MR11 included (6 orange, 4 blue)
Weight: 37 lbs (net)
Flame height: 48"
Here's a link to an Active X movie.
http://www.visualeffectsinc.com/visualeffectsweb/products/annex/v0109.html

The unit above uses 4 high velocity panel fans. This imported unit is so inexpensive I doubt you'd be able to make a copy for less buying off the shelf parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back