Making Footloose Special

carsonld

So I do not really know where this post would go. But I am the set designer for footloose, Well the director wants to make the show very special, Considering we did the show in 2006. So I have came up with a couple ideas for the show. Our grand curtain is on a batten and can be raised. So I have talked to the music director about creating a 15 second beat of music, So while the director makes her pre-show announcement the house lights will go down and the grand curtain will rise about 1 1/2 feet off the ground and you will see Ariel, Chuck, Wendy, Urleen, Willard, Rusty, and Ren to be standing in a straight line and when she finishes her announcements they a black light will turn on behind the grand and they will be wearing neon converses. Then once the "Footloose" song starts the grand will go back down and open partly for Ren to come out and sing. We are trying to recreate the original movie opening scene. This looks very good and think it will make the show unique. On top of that when the grand opens a HUGE Footloose sign will come down. I feel like this will make the show a lot better. Also in the burger blast when they sing "Holding Out For A Hero" a fog machine will be behind the counter and when they start to go into there little dream the lights will turn blue the fog will roll out and they will have microphones. I am very excited about these ideas. I was wondering if there was anything anyone else could think of to make the show more unique?

PS: I do have a layout/plan of all the scenes and whats on stage if you would like me to post some please tell me.!

Thank you so much!!!

It seems to me like you have the reveal down, however I will comment on the second part of your post; I am not familiar with the show or song, however, it seems to me like a fog machine may not be your best bet. I think perhaps a haze would be a better effect. If you are planning on using haze for the whole show, and you want that scene in particular to stick out, you could look into maybe a fazer, combination fog/hazer, or simply run the haze at 60%, then increase its intensity for that particular song. Again, I am not familiar with the show, however, when I think of fog, I think more of blocking the audiences view, and marshes, not people dreaming. It may be easier to get a feel for the desired effect if you can post a ground plan of the set.

It seems to me like you have the reveal down, however I will comment on the second part of your post; I am not familiar with the show or song, however, it seems to me like a fog machine may not be your best bet. I think perhaps a haze would be a better effect. If you are planning on using haze for the whole show, and you want that scene in particular to stick out, you could look into maybe a fazer, combination fog/hazer, or simply run the haze at 60%, then increase its intensity for that particular song. Again, I am not familiar with the show, however, when I think of fog, I think more of blocking the audiences view, and marshes, not people dreaming. It may be easier to get a feel for the desired effect if you can post a ground plan of the set.

Actually fog for what he's describing would be quite nice. I did a lighting design for this show last year and np18358 is right...Haze is a must.

I haven't read the script forever, but when I was in it 10 years ago I loved the "Holding out for a Hero" part. We did the same thing with the fog machine behind the counter. And I don't know if it was in the script or not, but we also had four of our buffest boys (for theater kids anyway...) wearing sleeveless tux shirts emerge from under the counter in the fog. They then did their little chippendale dance with the lead girls. It's a fun gag and the audience loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back