Making images appear

Traveller

Hi all,

I am directing "Lucy" by Damien Atkins. In the show a young autistic girl paints on the walls of the house. We as the audience will not see what she is painting until the big reveal when we will see they are very intricate and detailed cave paintings.

My production team and I have been debating how to best make this effect happen. I should note that, due to some symbolism and themes within the show, I would like the set to be almost all white throughout.

We have experimented with some (VERY expensive) invisible luminescent paint (Wildfire). I had seen this used quite effectively in a performance a couple of years ago. It goes on clear but glows colourful under black light. The issues with this are 1. Under the black lights, the rest of the white set glows like a t-shirt in a nightclub and 2. The luminescent paint on the white surface does not work as well as on a darker surface. I am not willing to spend a big portion of my budget on this paint if it is not going to be a show stopping effect.

We have also discussed projection however I am concerned we would need quite a few projectors to effectively do this as rear projection and I do not want to do front projection as I do not want the images falling on the cast's faces.

I have begun thinking about light boxes and wondering if these would work.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how we can make this work in the most effective and dramatic way? Thanks.

You'll need to spend more on better UV fixtures to get some that are truly UV with no visible spectrum light. A typical "black light" can be basically a very dark violet and not even have much UV in it. The UV reactive paint will light up, but so will everything else. A true UV fixture should have no visible light coming from it. It really looks so much better and pushes the effect over the top. Wildfire has a good fixture, but I think it is kind of pricey, and Altman has a decent one. There is also a company, whose logo is a horse's head, that has an LED unit. I believe there are even rental units available. ;)

Nice pitch Dave! And yes, there are Avere 4UV fixtures still available for rental purposes.

Quick marketing video for you, Traveller-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the light box or perhaps walls of sharkstooth scrim and rear lit translucent "paintings" behind. If the paintings were simple, it could be that just gobos on the rear of plain muslin or similar material would do it, or perhaps with a shadow mask for lines and color from lights. I don't know the show so do not know what is appropriate for the "very intricate and detailed cave paintings". A better scenic artist than I might be able to "lay" the designs on the rear of muslin (how come the spell checker tries to change this to Muslim? A sign of the times) and they simply appear by rear lighting them. I think the glowing effect would generally be more dramatic than projections - especially on a budget. Obviously squires some careful planning for eh construction of the "walls", and not likely able to use stock flats (and obviously not Hollywood flats :) ).

Nice pitch Dave! And yes, there are Avere 4UV fixtures still available for rental purposes.

Quick marketing video for you, Traveller-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. I realize you are likely not allowed to do direct marketing in the forums but do you rent to Canada? Can you send me a price list?

Thanks. I realize you are likely not allowed to do direct marketing in the forums but do you rent to Canada? Can you send me a price list?

Hi Traveller,

You are correct, we sell our product line through authorized dealers around the world. A rental is a possibility from either a local company or from Apollo. Please send your contact info to me at kkankovsky at Apollo design dot net and I'll provide Avere 4UV info for you. :D

All my best!

Hi Traveller,

You are correct, we sell our product line through authorized dealers around the world. A rental is a possibility from either a local company or from Apollo. Please send your contact info to me at kkankovsky at Apollo design dot net and I'll provide Avere 4UV info for you. :D

All my best!
Awesome. Thanks. Just sent you an email. I appreciate the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back