The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Making your scene shop greener

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by peacefulone61, May 11, 2017.

1. peacefulone61

peacefulone61 Active Member

Technical Director
    Good afternoon all

I oversee a college shop and the college has decided to push for a greener campus. I have been asked to present a proposal on how to make the scene shop Greener. I was wondering what other shops do for this.

The area that we cited as the biggest concerns are:

Paint, (cleanup and disposal) we are a latex shop.

Wood Cut off and Sawdust

Lamps and Alkaline Batteries

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. josh88

josh88 Remarkably Tired. Premium Member Fight Leukemia

3. kicknargel

kicknargel Well-Known Member

I think one big step you can take is to avoid rainforest products. And the most ubiquitous one for us is lauan. We've been using RevolutionPly, available at Lowe's. It's not quite as strong and stiff as good-quality lauan (though better than the big box cheap stuff), and sustainably produced. And affordable.

http://www.patriottimber.com/RevolutionPly-Plywood.php

Van likes this.
  4. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I have heard several times about Trupan light and ultralight MDF products being more sustainably sourced and containing less formaldehyde. I haven't looked into it myself, but it's probably worth the price of a phone call to your lumber supplier.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

Good for you! Glad to hear your school and peers care about the environment!

Another 'green-friendly' practice would be to spec/use Apollo gobos, which are not made with ferric chloride. The chemical wash (acid etch) approach that other manufacturers use produces hazardous waste that must be managed carefully.

This stuff is nasty- look:
    http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0930.pdf

(*Iron(III) chloride is harmful, highly corrosive and acidic. The anhydrous material is a powerful dehydrating agent.
    Although reports of poisoning in humans are rare, ingestion of ferric chloride can result in serious morbidity and mortality. Inappropriate labeling and storage lead to accidental swallowing or misdiagnosis. Early diagnosis is important, especially in seriously poisoned patients.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(III)_chloride

Apollo moved away from acid etching years ago and it was a GREAT decision! :)

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

I forgot about this lil Earth Day video we presented a few weeks ago, as it sums it all up!

Dionysus and josh88 like this.