Male XLR wall jacks only?

On the other side of the coin, if the electrician told him he preferred fiber optic cable instead of ethernet, the homeowner should have pushed back asking for the "standard"
Sort of the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray, or Betamax vs VHS right?

I already had a few people contact me and tell me that network cable is the way to go, and I also had a few people contact me and tell me that I'll get a lot of noise on the network cable if the unused wires aren't terminated, so I guess it's the risk I'm taking. I just feel like in a total retrofit where I can't punch holes in a historic structure, I want the cabling done once and hopefully it's good until I die or retire (death is probably closer, especially when I'm the one up on ladders playing with electric) and if I made the mistake, people can blame me. Last big project I was in on, we all pushed for Cat5 cable for everything, which was fine for 2000, but now they are complaining about slow speeds over the old cable. We weren't worried back then, we were hoping to future proof the number of phone lines we would need for all of our dial-up needs... Wireless? Impossible. Cell phone? Yes, it's a small brick with 50 minutes a month which no one would ever go over...

In 20 years, if this place is still running, the tech then can replace all the Cat6 with Cat2K hyperloop wireless virtually but I won't necessarily care.

My electrician came back with a proposal to install all the XLR wall jacks as male only. The architect told him that in most of the high school and middle school auditoriums, the first thing that the users complain about is the XLR jacks breaking. Because most of these are female with a spring clip, he recommends that you eliminate that "unnecessary headache" of having to repair a jack and just buy cables with a double female end...

Has anyone heard of this before? After making a few calls, several auditorium managers/band directors/janitors confirm that's what they've installed. My brain hurts.

This is true and I've seen it multiple times here in Australia. Many schools with old performing arts buildings or an outdoor 'stage' have these. I've seen them on the front wall of the stage facing the audience and the other end usually Up stage center on the wall. I have no idea why, but after reading this discussion I can sort-of understand why?
And sometimes I will find a Female to Female xlr cable that looks straight from the 90's somewhere in a storeroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back