Management from afar

Dreadpoet

Though there have been many posts similar in years past...I suppose it is time to discuss again. In this time of "Dropbox", with 1gb of free cloud space, free online project management software, and free twitter/facebook/any other social media...I would be surprised to find that there is not some reasonable software than can do an online call board (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) without paying $1,000 or more a year on expensive industry specific software. Perhaps a online software where actors can see an on an ongoing rehearsal schedule and receive limited file sharing....What softwares are you using, what softwares do you know of?

Though there have been many posts similar in years past...I suppose it is time to discuss again. In this time of "Dropbox", with 1gb of free cloud space, free online project management software, and free twitter/facebook/any other social media...I would be surprised to find that there is not some reasonable software than can do an online call board (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) without paying $1,000 or more a year on expensive industry specific software. Perhaps a online software where actors can see an on an ongoing rehearsal schedule and receive limited file sharing....What softwares are you using, what softwares do you know of?

I have never seen some solution specifically designed for it. It can work fine with Google, although some (like myself) would prefer using something more specific to our "needs".

I am surprised that google specifically would not seek to make its software more intuitive by putting all of its software into one place...much like online educational software. I would actually pay a modest subscription fee for that.

I am surprised that google specifically would not seek to make its software more intuitive by putting all of its software into one place...much like online educational software. I would actually pay a modest subscription fee for that.

What you talk of already exists, and it's called Google Apps? Complete control over what users may and may not do with any google product, and it's free for educational uses.

I would be surprised to find that there is not some reasonable software than can do an online call board (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) without paying $1,000 or more a year on expensive industry specific software. Perhaps a online software where actors can see an on an ongoing rehearsal schedule and receive limited file sharing....What softwares are you using, what softwares do you know of?

This is exactly what I built Cast98 to do! Granted, this is 4 years late but... Cast98 is an affordable online solution for directors/stage managers to automate their auditions, casting, and rehearsal scheduling processes. Here is my board topic explaining the features. I hope you find this helpful!

We used Google calendar for a rehearsal schedule. It worked great. Being in a high school, the kids are being pulled in many directions so it worked really well with seeing conflicts they had.

Google Calendar IS great, I have been a big fan for some ~15 years! Now, though, if you want to try out Cast98 - it's built specifically for school drama groups, theatres, and other performance companies for rehearsal scheduling. Actors can export their rehearsals to Google, Outlook, iCal, etc. too, so whatever they're using... they can keep on using! Here's my board topic discussing Cast98's features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back