Outboard Gear marking audio levels

EustaceM

How does one mark audio levels for a mixer so they can keep the same levels for mics and cd players for a performance for a few days? The levels change depending on the dance pieces

[soundcraft]

How does one mark audio levels for a mixer so they can keep the same levels for mics and cd players for a performance for a few days? The levels change depending on the dance pieces

[soundcraft]

Personally, I can do it all mentally. But I suggest marking the board with small pieces of colored gaff tape. Make a legend of what each color means (aka which dance number), and mark up the board. It won't damage the board and it works great!

Assuming you don't have a digital board, then I doubt the board can do it on its own. What model mixer do you have, just to be on the safe side.

I have a friend that just writes all her levels down in her show notebook after she has them figured out, this could be a good option if you didn't want to put gaff all over your board.

I recommend keeping track of them all on a cue sheet. Write the starting fader level next to each song. Also be sure to note any fade outs, bumps in volume "fake endings", and any other pertinent information. If you are unable to perform your duties, someone should be able to take your cue sheet and be able to fill in. Even with the best stage manager calling the show, you will still want accurate notes. Also be sure to note master volume levels, gain levels, and aux and matrix send levels. If any of these get adjusted, all of the levels in your notes will be off.

~Dave

Depending on your console, cheat sheets are available with outlines of all the pots, faders, and switches. I'd make a binder with them and record the status of each control for each song they change. The cheat sheets are easy to make if you don't have one. Personally, I do a mix of gaff tape and cheat sheets when I'm running analog.

Thank you!

I've been writing the levels on a scraps of paper but I wanna get more into the habit of using cue sheets/cheat sheets for audio.

Would you know where I can find a simple cue/cheat sheets for recording levels and everything or a sample?

[ I saw the template of a cheat sheet that someone uploaded, but I'm not sure how I would mark it / read it]

How about mic levels and such?

I dont have access to the mixer (soundcraft) manual to see if there are templates there. Unfortunately, It is currently locked up in a cabinet which I wont have access to until after the current production that Im doing audio for.

Charting analog consoles is very common as far as getting it to a starting configuration. When I was running sound for a band I encountered so many different consoles that rather than use model specific charts from the manufacturers I created my own that included just about every control I might encounter and simply crossed out the ones that weren't applicable for a particular gig. For theatre I am used to changes from the initial configuration then being identified on the cue sheet.

What model is it?
seconding this question. We've got a soundcraft board and that's the manual I was talking about. If you dont have yours and the models match up I could just scan one of the blank ones I've got and send it to you.

Most manufacturers have manuals on their websites, even for older consoles (though it may take some looking to find them). I believe Soundcraft have many of their old manuals; I think I remember looking at some a while back.

If you can't find one, you can easily sketch out your own on a piece of paper and make as many copies as you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back