Marley Dance Floor cart advice

I needed a better way to store my marley, so I repurposed a lighting rack.
Here is a doc with the description of the build.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F0TBctP7ShLWDbERcCeoEjAfNQI13hhbivm7ehW6koo/edit
Marley 1 .jpg Marley 21.jpg

Excellent!

Great stuff! As far as chalks for the wheels, I have several heavy carts, just take a short chain and wrap that around one or two of the casters.

Great stuff! As far as chalks for the wheels, I have several heavy carts, just take a short chain and wrap that around one or two of the casters.
Good idea, I may try that.

Often diagonally opposite corners.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I wonder if the dreaded auto-correct has turned chock into chalk?

I wonder if the dreaded auto-correct has turned chock into chalk?
@JohnD Naw! No way. He's got really wide, THICK chalk for use on sidewalks and he lays it on so thick . . . You've got the picture.
I trust you can still recognize bull excrement when you read it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

In many communities they have done away with parking meters in downtown areas. In order to enforce time limits for on street parking the former meter maids (I doubt few of them were named Rita and perhaps not even Lovely) would go around with a chalk stick and mark the tires, next time around they would write tickets for the offenders. Now THAT is tire chalking.
EDIT: P.S. the parking meter was invented in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Hello!

We are opening a new performing arts center on my campus and have lots of new larley to store.

My question: What marley storage carts do you prefer? Will you please include a brand or supplier?

Ordering something prefab is preferred as we don't have the time to build something custom.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Does anyone have any good units/carts or ideas they use to store dance floor? We have five rolls that are beastly heavy and we lift them onto a low shelf. It would be great to have a cart or device that wheels out onto the stage and easily rolls back into the shop when loaded with all that weight.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any good units/carts or ideas they use to store dance floor? We have five rolls that are beastly heavy and we lift them onto a low shelf. It would be great to have a cart or device that wheels out onto the stage and easily rolls back into the shop when loaded with all that weight.

Thanks!
@Amy Jo Parish We've beaten this into submission a while back, possibly a year ago. A butch cart with SERIOUS wheels supporting rolls approximately 1' in diameter (empty) by both ends of their axles eliminates the floor damaging itself in storage if/ when supporting its own weight. Adding a removable crank on one end helps a lot when it's time to roll up the floor. Detaching the crank while unrolling eliminates the hazard of the spinning crank maiming someone.
Try Control Booth forum's search function in the upper right corner; I'll try it too and post a link if / when I find the threads. In the meantime, let's employ the forum's 'Bat Call' and possibly @Van will contribute a little of his magic.
EDIT: Oops!! Inadvertently misspelled too as to. . .
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:

Thanks!
@Amy Jo Parish Well lookee here: Four pages of reading for you.
"https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/marley-dance-floor-cart-advice.21892/ "
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Amy Jo Parish We've beaten this into submission a while back, possibly a year ago. A butch cart with SERIOUS wheels supporting rolls approximately 1' in diameter (empty) by both ends of their axles eliminates the floor damaging itself in storage if/ when supporting its own weight. Adding a removable crank on one end helps a lot when it's time to roll up the floor. Detaching the crank while unrolling eliminates the hazard of the spinning crank maiming someone.
Try Control Booth forum's search function in the upper right corner; I'll try it to and post a link if / when I find the threads. In the meantime, let's employ the forum's 'Bat Call' and possibly @Van will contribute a little of his magic.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Thank you - I had completed a search but didn't find the thread. Thanks again!

Update on mine:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F0TBctP7ShLWDbERcCeoEjAfNQI13hhbivm7ehW6koo/edit

The 1/2" pipe with supports and 3" PVC sags a tiny bit from the weight of the rolls and causes a ripple in the Marley. Not a real big deal, in about a day it relaxes and flattens out, but if I had to do it all over again (And I am going to fix it cuz I am nutty that way) I would replace the PVC rollers with aluminum. Lesson to learn here is that the rollers need to be extremely rigid to keep the Marley flat on the roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back