The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Marley ??

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by len, Apr 2, 2008.

1. len

len Well-Known Member

No, not the Christmas Carol character. The black stuff you put on the deck. Do you ever use it?

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Use it all the time. Most rock shows tour with it. Every corporate show uses either carpet or Marley. Except, like Leko and gel, true Marley does not exist any more, and has become a generic term for any vinyl dance floor. Current manufacturers are Rosco Floor, Harlequin, and StageStep.

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Anytime someone is dancing onstage, it helps a ton. My GF (dancer) will not walk onto a stage to dance unless there is one down.

4. len

len Well-Known Member

Most rock stuff I've done they either don't care about the deck, are using carpet remnants (to soak up the Faygo http://www.insaneclownposse.com/detect.php), or are using a custom stage. Only time I ever see Marley is in touring theatrical productions.

Reason I ask is I'm putting together a fashion show and they want it for the entire 104' x 16' runway and deck.

In white.

5. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Member

Are they planning on dancing on it? If not I don't see why they'd want/need it. My guess is that they just want the white. Would painting the deck and runway be an option?

Meh, if they want to burn that much of their budget let em.

6. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

It has a different feel under foot than other decking material. If they are walking barefoot marley has a bit of a give and is 100% splinter free. If they will be wearing high heels that can hurt the marley (looking at you ballroom dancers)

7. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
  8. derekleffew

If using standard hotel ballroom Sico carpeted risers, also need to budget hardboard (Masonite) as an under-layment.

9. len

len Well-Known Member

Nope. Everything is coming in for the event. The venue is a former department store being converted into an art gallery. This will be the first of what could be many events there. The deck isn't carpet, it's hard black vinyl. They want white. I offered an acrylic stage, but they didn't like that idea. They're wanting a white skirt on the deck, but I don't see that happening.

Video, sound, pipe and drape, decking, chairs, the whole enchilada.

10. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

White Marley doesn't stay white especially when walked on...so I'm not sure its a good choice for what you're doing.

11. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I've got to see there's got to be a better, more efficient way to do it. Marley is pretty important for dance (except tap or other noise based forms), but it's time consuming to lay (at least if you do it right) and expensive. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the models probably won't be wearing shoes that necessitate marley (lots of the marley coved floors I worked with have "sterile" rules, basicly if you have ever stepped outside with your footwear your not allowed on the marley with it). Maybe they like the slight cushion and noise reduction (did I mention slight?), but there's got to be a better, cheaper, more efficient way.

12. len

len Well-Known Member

The client wants white. So that's what they're getting. I can't paint the deck and I think they want something that won't show the deck seems, since the deck has to be brought in for the show.

I told them it probably will look bad by the 4th show, but they seem bent on this stuff.

If you've got cheaper suggestions, I'm all ears.

13. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

How bigs the runway? If it's wider than bah can't remember if its 4 or 5 foot you're gonna have a seem anyway.....what about some sort of plexi?

14. len

len Well-Known Member

104 x 16. And a stage 48 x 20. I meant the seams between the stage panels, which are 4 x 8 portable stage pieces. I suggested an acrylic transparent but they weren't interested.

A white covering is going to be more $$ than the acrylic, btw.

15. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    Check out this awesome stuff

When Hope College used our space during ACTF, they had white GAM floor down for a few days and it held up very nicely. Plus, its cheaper than Marley and easy to install.

bobgaggle and len like this.
  16. derekleffew

I think I've seen that on awards shows. Looked great. TV loves that "wet floor" look.

17. punktech

punktech Active Member

masonite+white paint=???

i don't know what the cost on that would be, but i'm gonna venture a guess that it would be less than white marley (which you'll probably never use again, a lot of dancers i know prefer using black)

18. sobenson

sobenson Member

We lay Marley all the time. Have many resident dance companies. I can lay my whole stage with 5 hands in less then 30 min. We use gaff tape instead of Marley tape. It works as good and pulls up easier. We have rolls that are black on one side and white on the other, then a grey roll as well. It is true the white does not stay white long, and is hard to clean.

19. derekleffew

Anyone ever used one of these to lay dance floor? This is the first commercially-made one I've seen.
    [​IMG]

20. len

len Well-Known Member

The issue is moot. I didn't get the contract. Next time.

And I've seen those, but never used one. If you get one person to hold the tape end down and the other person runs the tape out (but in the air, not pressing it down as you go) it lays out smoothly. Then you just press it in place.